Data collection...a starting point...

waggs

Hello everyone, I'm looking for a little information, actually a nudge in the right direction. I've searched threads and posts here and not finding what I'm looking for. We are doing some upgrades and retro-fits for a customer that is asking for data collection and remote monitoring of a wind turbine. We currently use the A-D D0-06 series of plc and I'm at a loss as to where to start to build the system. The system can be as simple or full blown as we wish to make it. A little nudge in the right direction should get me started, or at least help me ask intelligent questions. Also any reading material that can be suggested would be a great help. Thanks in advance, all of you are the best.

Where's the list of things that your customer wants to monitor?

Are those points currently instrumented?
Does the PLC have those points in it already?

Typical SCADA/DAQ systems that run on Windows connect via RS-485 or ethernet and collect data from the PLC via Modbus.

Does Automation Direct have a SCADA/DAQ package?

danw...starting with basically no documentation for the turbine we are left to pretty much to decide which parameters we will monitor. So the answer is no, not as yet, but will by the time programming is over. Automation Direct seems to have many packages...enough to confuse me on what I should be looking at. And Steve...ty for the reply but I don't see in your post who you are talking about. Yes, a bundled package would be a great way to go.