PLEASE help me with some terms and abbreviations

Atashkent

I would appreciate if anyone could help with eng to eng (or eng to rus) explanation!

or post a link to a doc i could refer to for expl.

I'm currently working on tech doc (eng to rus) related to replacing old PLCs with ControlLogix ones. I have problem understading some of the terms and abbr.

i know it's an imposition but i'll be very thankful if you can open some of them.

1. For PLC Object

PV
DB
HHSP
HiSP
HiALM
HHLAM
Debounce
Override En
Override Dis

Run Status
RUN IND
Permissive/Interlock

Point configuration
point declaration
icon point linking detail
popup poing linking detail

FB pin point name
parameter PV/OP/MD/Source

Under FB pin point name - abbr. IND

4. Foam Header Permissive (context: If any of three open commands i.e. from HMI, logic or field is generated, the valve will open regardless of the close commands. However, for closing all commands should demand close to close the valve. However open command will work only if the Foam Header Permissive is normal.)

5. Deluge Pump:

Fail to SD
Fail to BD

6. Duty/Standby motor

Scripts on DSBStatus will run on Load and Update events?

7. Animation details

Under Status description: Trip (fill color animation Red)

ESD Analog Inputs for HIPPS

Input&Output Processing for HIPPS:

Process input
Input Scaling
Control Set-point
Control Output

9. Alarm Management

Inhibit/override expiry alarm
Alarm inhibit/override
Deviation alarm
Fault alarm
HH/H/LL/L Alarm
Device alarm
Device Inhibit/Override alarm
First Out

Last edited:
Translating (properly) technical terminology is always scary business.

Since you seem to know English but are not apparently proficient in controls-related terms, do you think it might be a better idea if people around here just try to explain the meaning of some of these words and abbreviations - still in English - and leave it up to you to find the best equivalent in Russian?

Here are the abbreviations and specific terms.
For the rest use dictionaries :)

PV= Present Value= Текущее значение
DB= Database= База данных
SP= Set Point= Установочное значение (например, настройка порога срабатывания)
ALM= Alarm= Сигнал тревоги, авариийное извещение
Override= Обход условий (например, возможность работы машины с открытым ограждением)
En= Enable (Разрешить) or Enabled (Разрешено)
Dis= Disable (Запретить) or Disabled (Запрещено)
ESD= Emergency Shutdown System= Система аварийного (экстренного) отключения
ESD= ElectroStatic Discharge= Электростатический разряд
HIPPS= High Integrity Pressure Protection System= Изощренная система управления, ставящая целью предотвращение превышения давления, в отличие от систем защиты путем сброса избыточного давления.
Duty= Работа, активное состояние устройства
Standby= Ожидание в состоянии готовности к работе
Inhibit= Обездвиживать
Interlock= Связь между устройствами (механическая, электрическая, программная и т.д., запрещающая недопустимые сочетания их состояний или действий).
Trip= Выключение в результате срабатывания защиты (хорошо передается русским "выбило")

Last edited:
Translating (properly) technical terminology is always scary business.

Since you seem to know English but are not apparently proficient in controls-related terms, do you think it might be a better idea if people around here just try to explain the meaning of some of these words and abbreviations - still in English - and leave it up to you to find the best equivalent in Russian?

That's exactly what i need (english to english explanation). That would be great!

Either "process value" or "process variable", if there's any difference.
Most likely, I think. Something that is being controlled, acted upon - temperature, pressure, position... whatever. Регулируемая/управляемая/контролируемая величина/параметр.

Inetrlock or Permissive - whatever set of conditions required to turn something on/let something run. Блокировка.

Debounce - I don't think there is a single-word Russian term for that. In my old days we used to call it "антидребезг", but that is rather a slang than a proper term. The idea is that some electrical devices, like contacts of a switch, when closed, do not make a solid contact right away but 'chatter' for a short time, which may cause a control system (a PLC) to react incorrectly.

There is a set of standard measures that filter that chattering out, they are called 'debouncing'. See if something like "защита от дребезга" or "фильтр дребезга" may work for you.

HH (High, high), H(High), L(Low) and LL (Low, low) are different categories of alarms caused by a PV (process variable, that is) going, accordingly, way too high, just too high, just too low or way too low.

Last edited:
Here are the abbreviations and specific terms.
For the rest use dictionaries :)

Как вы считаете, корректно использовать следующие эквиваленты:

Duty/standby motor = рабочий/резервный мотор (двигатель/привод)
Interlock = блокиратор или взаимный блокиратор
Trip = размыкатель, расцепитель, автомат. выключатель, или автостоп?!

Override En = разрешена/включена ручная коррекция (блокировка автоматики)
Override Dis = запрещена/отключена блокировка автоматики

Duty/standby motor = рабочий/резервный мотор (двигатель/привод)- Да
Interlock = блокиратор или взаимный блокиратор- Да, но с разъяснениями.
Trip = размыкатель, расцепитель, автомат. выключатель, или автостоп?!- Нет. Trip- это не устройство, а состояние или (даже точнее) приводящий к нему процесс срабатывания защиты.

Override En = разрешена/включена ручная коррекция (блокировка автоматики)
Override Dis = запрещена/отключена блокировка автоматики
Да, если не возникнет путанницы между состоянием (разрешено) и командой (разрешить).
И я бы перевел как "обход".

Антидребезг- вполне официальный технический термин (не сленг).
Но я не уверен, что здесь это имеется в виду под debounce.

Блокировка- хороший перевод. Мне в голову не пришло.

Last edited:
possibly . . .
3. FB pin point name
(what I call a 'tag'). Brownish boxes are FB (Function blocks).
Not Controllogix brand, however.

2d121bk.jpg

9. Alarm Management (generic, not Controllogix specific)

Inhibit/override expiry alarm

some alarm expires, there's a means to stop the expiration of the alarm

Alarm inhibit/override
some means of override the alarm and its effects

Deviation alarm
generally a ± threshold value on either side of a nominal setpoint (SP). For instance, alarm SP is 100, deviation alarm of ±5 would have a low alarm at 95, a high alarm at 105.

Fault alarm
Fault is an internal problem in the CPU processor, its backplane, its I/O modules, frequently communications faults, too.

HH/H/LL/L Alarm
HH = high-high example 110
H = high example 105
LL = low low example 95
L = low example 90

Device alarm
Device Inhibit/Override alarm

First Out - a determination made when multiple alarms occur, which occurred first.

Debounce - I don't think there is a single-word Russian term for that. In my old days we used to call it "антидребезг", but that is rather a slang than a proper term. The idea is that some electrical devices, like contacts of a switch, when closed, do not make a solid contact right away but 'chatter' for a short time, which may cause a control system (a PLC) to react incorrectly.

There is a set of standard measures that filter that chattering out, they are called 'debouncing'. See if something like "защита от дребезга" or "фильтр дребезга" may work for you.

HH (High, high), H(High), L(Low) and LL (Low, low) are different categories of alarms caused by a PV (process variable, that is) going, accordingly, way too high, just too high, just too low or way too low.

"фильтр дребезга" works quite well!!!

В тексте встречается термин "debounce timer" for which I used "противодребезговый таймер" (though it sounds awkward). Поэтому здесь, скорее всего, именно ввиду именно антидребезг (таймер фильтра дребезга).

Well, looks like something begins to work out :)

Look at danw's post above - he does not speak any Russian but gave a pretty good explanation for some of the terms.