Connect humidity sensor to a PLC

el_b

Hello,

I am writing my thesis for a company and I have to connect a GEFRAN H5000 humidity sensor to a B&R PLC. The information of the sensor says that if you connect it to a TLC555C oscillator, the signal frequency represents the humidity. But is it possible to 'read' frequency's with a plc?

thanks a lot,

I'm rather new in the PLC world :)

Brecht.

In a word no. it sounds like the 555 will give out a pulse train dependant on the humidity (voltage of the sensor) I assume this humidity device must give out a voltage of some kind to control the ocillator chip.
Most plc's have analog cards varying from mv, 0-10v 0-20ma, or 4-20ma.
If you could find out what the actual output is then it may be possible to convert it to a 0-10v or 4-20ma signal.

I don´t agree with Parky.
Frequency is the number of pulses over a certain time.
If you have a digital input that can read up to the max frequency, and if you know the frequency for 0% humidity and the frequency for 100% humidity, you can read the humidity with a digital PLC input.
Simens for example as a level transmitter with a frequency output: 3RG6013-3RS00

130hz you will need a high speed input or a counter card.
the resolution will not be very good a better solution is a sensor with 4-20ma or 0-10v output

Just take another sensor that gives you a signal 4-20ma or 0-10V , keep it simple
Johnson Controls has that type of sensor ,or other brands whatever

Most capacitive sensors are only really good to 1% RH anyhow, so a 130 Hz signal would likely have sufficient resolution to display the reality of RH.

Sure, lots of device will read out to 2 decimal places, but how real is the reading? With RH, not very likely that it's real.

thanks a lot guys!
the reason i chose a capacitive sensor, was his reaction time.

My problem has been solved without using a relative humidity sensor (leakage detection).

thanks !

cheers,

Brecht