Getting Time and Date into Ladder

godfrey

I have a SLC 5/05 and a Panelview 1000. I have displayed the time on the screen using the @Read_ClockHours, Minutes and Seconds tags which are internal to the Panelview. How do I get ahold of these numbers to do manipulations in my ladder logic? Do these internal registers have anything to do with the S bits S37 thru S42 which are Clock Calander Year, Month, Day and so on? Where do the S bits get their data? Do I move it into them from somewhere?
What I want to do is give the customer a setpoint on the screen where he can enter hours and minutes. I want to write a compare statement that says when the time of day is equal to the entered setpoint, make the rung true and do whatever.

Why are you doing this?

Use PLC time, and then display and/or change it on the PV.
In my opinion this is the only way to. I really get
frustrated with screens that use their own (clock such as
F940GOT just to mention one). When your machine encounters
an alarm condition, time stamp in alarm history is
different for each touchscreen. (Who designs this *#@$% bonkhead ?)
Maybe it's just me, maybe the Japaneese have figured out
another way to it or maybe they don't care about time.
If I have system with controller and 20 PCs somewhere
in the office and 3 touchscreens on the plant flor and
all of them are displaying status of the SAME process,
I expect to see SAME status data - every single digit
and regardles if local clock on each PC is set differently.
Just ask yourself what would you like to see when you visit
say weather channel or cnn website - different information
that changes when you access it from different PC?
I don't think so...

Last edited:
I agree, panic mode, but to answer the question

I agree with panic mode, if more than one PLC/MMI is on the network be sure to sychronize the clocks, or treat one as the master and only use it.

But, to answer the original question, look in the 'application settings' folder in the project tree. There is an icon called 'status tags'. If you double click that icon, there is a place for you to assign tags for date/time and screen number. These can be assigned just like any other tag. If you assign a tag to these fields, you can read the Panelview's clock and read what screen number the Panelview is currently on in the PLC.

The same goes for the other icon called 'control tags' there you can control the Panelview's clock and screen selection using tags from the PLC.

Its sometimes harder to keep the clocks sychronized over time. We have found it better to use like 93 said, a Master PLC to provide time date info.

RovMan