Installing RSLogix 500 ver 5.00.00 on WindowsXP

mgray

When my plant closed its doors I was given a copy of RSLogix 500. I started taking plc classes and used the software at home. I got a new computer with WindowsXP and when I try to install the software I get a dialogue box saying "This product requires Service Pak4 on Windows NT 4.0 system". Is there anyway I can install the software on my new computer or am I out of luck.

Need 5.20.00 or higher for XP and RSLinx 2.30 or. If you still have your win9x, 2k or ME software then setup a dual boot system.
NOTE: verify that your specific laptop hardware has drivers for win9x or what you are going to use. I think win98se is best for use with most plc software including AB.

By drivers I mean the laptops motherboard, video etc...some are specifically designed for XP and no drivers are available to use with win9x.

To setup a dual boot without losing any files etc existing on the laptop you should purchase PARTITION MAGIC or a similar program that will allow you to repartition the hard drive for the dual boot. Actually you can use this to setup multiple boots (laprtop hardware allowing) for XP, win9x, DOS, or Linux, just to name a few.

This is probably the simplest route to go unless you can verify ownership of RSLogix and are willing to pay the subscription fee to place it back under support. Thats also a viable option.
NOTE: if your laptop doesnt have a built in serial port you will probably be unable to use a 1747-PIC, they dont work well on newer laptops with adapters.

Hope this helps.

Hmmmmmm....

Duel Boot...
I have always had extended amounts of trouble with this plan. I do not recommend this, personally. I am sure it has worked for many many folks out there, but me and the ppl I work with have learned to stay completely clear of duel boot and partition magic. I read a tech update somewhere about a bug, XP and Partition magic too... Not too sure what it was about. Tread carefully and read a lot before you take this route.

If the software was given to you, did the registration transfer?

If not, is it still under any support agreement. If it is, down load the latest version from the Rockwell site.

If you are installing the RSlogix500, you do not need to have Linx set up to program. Linx lite will work just fine and givve you the functionality you require to write a program or to play

Shoot me an email if you are still having trouble

[email protected]

I have to agree about dual-boot within MS, however I have had great luck using a program called "System Commander". I have had boxes boot DOS/'98/2K/XP with no problems.

RovMan