Automation Direct DL-305 to DL-205

Scooter

Hello, I am converting a DL-305 program to DL-205 manually run by rung. No problems with the I/O, timers and counters etc.

Question#1: The 305 uses "SR" for the state relays and the 205 uses "S", Are they handled the same way? (besides the range)

Question#2: The 305 uses MCS and MCR and the 205 uses MLS and MLR, the MLS and MLR have a "K" value, It says that the "K" value is used when nesting MLR and MLS. I am not nesting but the MCR,MCS in the original program is used multiple times, Do i use the MLS K1 and MLR K0 multiple times without changing the "K" value?
Thanks

dl6.jpg

1. The SR bits were Shift Register Bits. Memory allocated specifically for Shift Registers. You should replace these with standard C coils in the 205. The S coils are Stage Bits. Totally different function, although you could use them in a shift register. Don't forget they have to be on 8 bit bounderies(ie. C0-C7, C20-C37..etc)

2. Yes, the K value only increases when you nest to inner levels and decreases when nesting out. So if you are not nesting anymore than 1 level at a time, you would have MLS K1 and MLR KO mulitple times.

Last edited:
Thank you ATU...

Changing the SR bits to C coils looks like it should do the trick.
Why there are SR bits when there is no shift registers in the program is unknown to me. This program was written for a GE Series One PLC with Logicmaster 20+ years ago and converted to DirectLogic when a new CPU was installed.

Was the program short on internal bits? Memory is memory. Maybe the programmer ran out of internal coils?

The program is not long for todays standards, the original cpu was a ge series one 101 and was upgraded to a DL-330 to get more memory for a machine upgrade, then it was upgraded to a DL-340 when the DL-330 died.
The original program has been modified and band-aided many times over the years. So yes it could be a memory issue.

Conversion complete, back in business.
In the 305 you can use SR as a normal internal coil as long as there are no shift registers in the program as in this case.
Thanks again ATU.