Processor slowing Down

jbrand85

So this might sound like a vague question,... What can cause the processor to slow down over time. For instance, I will be making changes online and after quite a few changes the ladder at the top of the screen (my communications) start to slow down alot. Any Ideas?

The problem might be the size of your program and how it’s wrote. If you are adding new rungs or changing how the processor reads it; this could slow it down some. Does the processor only slow down while you are making changes? If so then like Mickey said you have too many files opened. If you are having problems with machine after your program changes (because inputs are not updating outputs fast enough), you might want to take another look at your program. Good luck and have a great day.

you don't mention what plc or what software. increase in scan time is not unusal when online editing (Mitsubishi for example).

i've run into interesting problem some two weeks ago on Omron PLC. the problem turned out to be the USB to RS232 converter. it works great for a while but i never used it for few hours. and once i did, it was bringing my laptop to it's knees, it took progressivly longer time to save, make online change etc. and after few hours even crashed with (BSOD).

-> all because lousy servo software only supports Com1-4 and those would not remap for some reason. (I needed to run both servo and plc software at the same time). after reboot i saw same issues but thankfully i spoted *one* brief flicker of the red bar at the bottom of the CX developer (this indicates comm loss). That's when i decided to forget about servo and move PLC cable to laptop's built in COM port. Suddenly my PC was "re-born" and running like champ. (reason to have real RS232 port).

unfortunately RS232 port is gone from most laptops. for some strange reasone many of them still have parallel port. it is much larger than DB9 and i can't help but wonder how many people in the world uses LPT port on a laptop? oh well...

He mentioned "the ladder at the top of the screen [..] start to slow down". So it is an AB PLC and RSLogix software.
The remedy is to close all the open program files, and also data files, custom data monitors etc., and only open the single one program file that is needed to work at a given time.