To control motor 2 phase 415V

zai_jnr

Dear Members,

I wonder if 2 phase motor can control by inverter 3 phase? :confused:Any members can clarify this issue. If this inverter cannot to control this 2 phase motor..Any method or spec inveter to control this 2 phase motor?

Thanx for members who reply for this thread..

That is a good question.
I think that the problem may be with the VFD. I am not sure how it will react when there is no current in one of the phases.
Is the 2-phase motor maybe really a 3-phase motor with a RC between two of the phases ? In that case you can remove the RC and connect to all 3 phases.

That is a good question.
I think that the problem may be with the VFD. I am not sure how it will react when there is no current in one of the phases.
Is the 2-phase motor maybe really a 3-phase motor with a RC between two of the phases ? In that case you can remove the RC and connect to all 3 phases.

well.this motor never have RC..i think this 3 phase VFD still can use to run the 2 phase motor..but the problem will happen is when fwd or reverse function use to run the motor..maybe this motor can only fwd or rev ONLY..cannot be to fwd and rev...am i rite?

Plz correct if i'm wrong...:unsure:

Do you really have a 2-phase motor (usually needs 4 line conductors), or do you have a single phase motor that uses (2) line conductors of a 3-phase system.

Do you really have a 2-phase motor (usually needs 4 line conductors), or do you have a single phase motor that uses (2) line conductors of a 3-phase system.

i have a 2 phase motor not single phase..if single phase motor..normally VFD for single phase have in market..

If you truly have a two phase motor, you will need a power source with each phase 90 degrees apart. Three phase power and three phase VFDs have the phases 120 degrees apart so the motor won't work properly when run from a three phase source.

I do not know of a two phase VFD. Two phase power is very rare. zai_jnr, do you have two phase power in your location?

Cick HERE for a Wikipedia article on two phase power.

If you truly have a two phase motor, you will need a power source with each phase 90 degrees apart. Three phase power and three phase VFDs have the phases 120 degrees apart so the motor won't work properly when run from a three phase source.

I do not know of a two phase VFD. Two phase power is very rare. zai_jnr, do you have two phase power in your location?

Cick HERE for a Wikipedia article on two phase power.

Dear Vic,

Just now i get the correct spec for motor that need to control by 3 phase inverter. The motor is 2 pole motor that operate at 400Vac power supply...manufacturer MOtor from siemens (1LA7130-2AA - order num)..so that mean, i need to wiring 2 phase power supply to operate this motor rite?

for your info, this motor select due to rpm that generate by motor is high compare to 4 pole motor

(1LA7130-2AA)for 2 pole motor = 2925 rpm
(1LA7130-4AA)for 4 pole motor = 1455 rpm

Correct me if i'm wrong....:confused:

Last edited:
Dear Vic,

Just now i get the correct spec for motor that need to control by 3 phase inverter. The motor is 2 pole motor that operate at 400Vac power supply...manufacturer MOtor from siemens (1LA7130-2AA - order num)..so that mean, i need to wiring 2 phase power supply to operate this motor rite?

for your info, this motor select due to rpm that generate by motor is high compare to 4 pole motor

The way I read the Siemens spec sheet is this is a three phase
http://www.automation.siemens.com/sd-static/motoren/ftp/d81-1-ergaenzung-2008-en.pdf

Dan Bentler

Dear Vic,

The number of poles a motor has is the number of magnetic poles not phases. See link below for a motor tutorial.

http://automation.usa.siemens.com/step/default.html

Last edited:
zai_jnr

As Dan has said, the motor is three phase. The way the motor is wound determines the number of poles in the motor. The number of poles determines the full speed of the motor.

This motor should work fine connected to a three phase inverter.

zai_jnr

As Dan has said, the motor is three phase. The way the motor is wound determines the number of poles in the motor. The number of poles determines the full speed of the motor.

I did NOT closely match the number of the motor to the spec sheet so double check me. From a quick perusal they looked to be Y delta motors to allow for dual voltage application.

I would be quite surprised to see Siemens making a two phase motor.

Dan Bentler

zai_jnr

uish!!!.. i'm misunderstanding with pole concept rite..i thought 2 pole motor is 2 phase power supply input..that mean..pole motor will differentiate speed of motor rite?;)

That is why posting all the specs up front is such a good idea. Tsk tsk.
It avoids a lot of needless posting back and forth.
In this case, the data from the motor name plate would have revealed everything immediately.