1336 Drive Scan port Issue

plc noob

I have a 1336 drive running on scan port from a slc 5/04 with scan port adapter card.

we are sending a value over scan port and linking it to the drives phiscal analog output which is connected to a field display on the other end.

Trouble is we get no data from the analog out of the drive it is being sent from the plc via scan port but appears the linking maybe gone or not working. Is there a way to view a link? I know how to create a link from the manual but see nothing on viewing a link?

Have no idea what could have caused this.All other aspects of the machine working fine.

Anyone seen scanport lose a link like this before?

Is this a 1336 FORCE or a 1336 IMPACT drive ? Those have "parameter links", while the 1336 Plus and Plus II drives have expanded I/O connections called "DataLinks".

Did it ever work correctly, or is this the first time it's being set up ?

Ken

This is a 1336 Impact drive 20 hp.

It has always worked this way

To me it appears to have lost the link between the analog in ref over scan port and the analog out on the drive.

I uploaded the parameters from the drive using drive observer .In drive observer i can open DATA Links but that seems backwards from your info?

In the data links in observer i can see an analog in and a analog out and it just has arrows.It does not say which is source and which is destination.

To make this worse i can not connect to the drive while the machine is running and this is a continious process and this winder is not being used for a couple shifts.I plan on trying to disable the port the HIM is connected to so that i can connect a laptop and drive observer and have a go at it without faulting the rest of the machine.my plc is changing the value mapped to analog in and no faults on my scanpot card in the chasis

With the HIM you should be able to look at the data being sent via the scanport. The paramters to look at are #140 through 147. If you can see those data inputs changing with the value being sent by the PLC then you know that part is working.

Next, from the HIM, you should be able to view the LINKs that are programmed.

You should be able to find a LINK to paramter 105 (Analog Output 1) or 108 (Analog output 2), or paramter 111 for the 4-20mA output.

You can view and edit LINKs on the HIM.

There is a distinct possibility that the drive analog output has failed. If you are using a voltage output, maybe you can switch to the other one? You should be able to link both of the voltage outputs to the same data source to give you a backup output in case of that type of failure.

Also, there are scaling and offset values that affect those outputs at each of the adjacent parameters. If, for example, the scaling was inadvertently set to zero, that could screw things up.

Paul

Thanks Okie

You shed alot of light on this.This is my first stab at dealing with scan port it seems really confusing but much more clear now.

One more small question all these drives from factory have 2 scanport ports one on the bottom and one for the HIM to plug into.I found some scan port splitters that i was thinking of using to provide a laptop connection while the drive is running and without removing the HIM.Is this the best method?

Or is there a way to connect to the drives thru the scanpot card itself?

Look in the manual for a section dealing with Masks and Owners.

You can set the mask bits to allow HIM removal without causing a fault, then you can use that port for your laptop connection. If you are not depending on the HIM for control of the machine, it is best to set those masks appropriately.

I have never used a scanport splitter, so I don't know if there are any issues with them.

Paul

Paul

Using your directions i did manage to check all the links and they were configured as they were supposed to be but we were still not getting data into the drive and no fault on the scan port card

We powered down the entire panel which got the scanport card and the drive and when we brought it back up were were getting data as we should.

I am at a loss as to what caused this and the only things i can think of is if the card is starting to go bad or from unplugging the scan port cable that connects the drive and card when we had to do our monthly uploades which includes uploading drive parameters.

I plan on getting another scanport card and some of the splitters so we never have to disconnect the drive from the system to go online or upload

Your instructions were spot-on

Thanks everyone for the help and all the replys

Sometimes, with serial devices, a power cycle is the only way to get the darn things working again. You might check to ensure the cables are routed well clear of motor leads and such.

Paul