MX Component vs. Kepware

monkeyhead

I'm setting up a SCADA and need an OPC server to talk to two individual Mitsubishi FX2n controllers. Both are connected to Ethernet via Moxa Nport serial servers.

It looks like my two big choices are Melsoft's MX Component and Kepware's Mitsubhishi FX OPC Server. Anyone have experience with, or a preference for either of these products?

I haven't quoted MX Component yet, but $795 for the Kepware driver is a little more than I'd like to pay.

I would go with the Kepware product but then again I am biased as I am from Kepware.

Seriously though, I am not sure about testing at Mitsubishi but we have a NPort here and have connected to to our FX2n through it. We also have a lot of customers using the Nport with our server all over the world. As for the price, $795 gets you the entire Mitsubishi suite of drivers (4 in all).

Haven't used the Mitsubishi server, but I do use Kepware for other PLC's. Never had a complaint, easy to configure, good tech support and free upgrades for one year is in price.

It's always a suite, ethernet, serial, etc... in the same package. Might be beneficial if you need to add something else later on.

All the big name OPC server prices are arond 800-1000 dollars. Mistubishi's in house product may be cheaper.

I have had great success with Kepware and am very pleased with it. Watch out if you are needing handshaking capability. You might be communicating through UDP.

I named the wrong Mitsubishi product above. MX Component is an ActiveX module, the OPC server is simply called MX OPC.

I downloaded the manual for MX OPC, and one thing that I immediately decided I didn't like was that you have to define each and every tag you need to access in the server configuration. Is Kepware the same way?

The other OPC servers I'm dealing with don't work this way.

In Kepserver as long as you know the correct syntax for the register or IO you want to access you can use it from you client application. You will have to create a Channel and device though. So say you created a project for an FX2N and the channel was named C1 and the Device was D1. To get data from register D001 you would request C1.D1.D0001. If you do not specificy the data type in your client when requesting the register the server will automatically create it dynamically with a data type of Word(UINT16) which is the Default data tpye for regeisters. If in you clinet you specify a data type the server will dynamically add the item with the requested data type.

If you run into problems just contact our tech support and they can help you out.

BTW - You cna download a full functioning demo from our website if you have not already done so.