SLC 5/03 to ML1100 connection

Erik vdH

Hi,

I am thinking of wiring an SLC 5/03 and ML1100 together on a small DH-485 network. I've done my homework but want a double check...

Note: The ML1100 and SLC5/03 will be the only devices on this 'network'.

The SLC5/03 has a dedicated DH-485 port (Channel 1), non-isolated. Note I cannot use Channel 0 as it is used up.

The ML1100 serial port (Channel 0) can be set to DH-485 and is isolated and RS-485 compatable differential signalling.,

Therefore, I don't need an 1747-AIC or 1761-NET-AIC adaptor.

I will use a 1761-CBL-AS03 (RJ45 --> Pheonix terminals) to go from SLC5/03.

I will use a 1763-NC01 (mini 8 --> Pheonix terminals) to go from the ML1100.

Then I will jumper that two sets of terminals together to form the network (just the A and B I guess, maybe a GND as well).

Then I will use a MSG command in the ML1100 to read some data from the SLC5/03.

Am I correct, will it work?

Normally, AB suggests that in EVERY case that you want to put any PLC that is using DH-485, to use the 1747-AIC module.
I have setup networks without them, as they were about 500USD each, without any issues.

Take a look at the attached, for some more detailed information.

thanks for the link.

The ML1100 is in fact the one exception when it comes to AB recommendation to use a NET-AIC or AIC+ (see ML1100 Users Manual - 1763-um001_-en-p), mainly because it has electrical isolation in its comms port. Given that this and the SLC are the only devices on this network, I feel that the SLC will not then need one either (you only need one isolation point between two devices). Just wanted to double check that with anyone out there....

Last edited:
Erik,

You are correct in your understanding of the SLC-5/03's nonisolated port and the MicroLogix 1100's isolated port. Usually the MicroLogix would be connected to a PanelView or other accessory, but the SLC is just as valid as a DH485 node.

You need to connect A, B, and COM wires. With two nodes and a short network, the jumper between A and TERM won't make much of a difference, but the textbook connection is to jumper them.