OT Question

plc_user1973

I was wondering if it was absolutely necessary to have a degree in order to take either the FE or PE exam? In other words, can a self taught individual take the exam. If someone were to say that the degree shows that your eligible, shouldn't a person with no degree and pass the test show he was eligible?

Regards

I took the FE w/o a degree - when I was still an undergrad. I took the ChemE test a number of years ago and it was difficult. I have heard some are hard, and others are not.

As for your other comments, well I'll just say I got a lot more from an undergrad in engineering than the ability to take some test. A lot more. But that's me, and you and everyone else are different.

It does vary a little by state.

My reading of the Washington State rules that I am familiar with gives me the impression that without an accredited Engineering degree, you could qualify to take the PE exam with 12 years of professional-level engineering experience, with at least 8 of those being under the supervision of a licensed PE and at least 4 of those being "independent judgement and decision making".

If you don't have a degree or the FE/EIT certificate, you can expect your work history to be carefully scrutinized by the licensing board.

For better or for worse, those are the rules. They probably keep some very skilled and experienced people from getting professionally licensed, and they probably allow the licensure of some world-class chowderheads. I know a few of both.

As Ken says, it varies by states. However, in most states they consider up to four years at an accredited engineering school qualifying experience. You need at least four years qualifying experience to take the fundamentals, and at least eight years to take the PE test. I don't believe any states require a degree to get your PE - only sufficeint experience and passing the test. You generally need recommendations from other engineers as well, other PEs preferred. Many states still allow you to be "grandfathered" in without even taking the tests, but that is getting more difficult.

Most states now have their licensing requirements on line. I suggest you try your Pennsylvania state site and do a little searching.