Plc 5-80

mnmmcbride

My processor faults out at various times during the day. Machine wil be running and all of a sudden nothing, processor faults. Several time a day we hook up the laptop and download the program into the processor. Now another processor had been ordered. My question is is this simple as putting it into the slot and downloading the program. what pitfalls may i run into and any hints that i can use.

If you can connect to it and re-download the program then you are online. Upload what is in the processor before you download just to see whats in it.
If its losing its program, then I would look for power problems, no surge protection on inductive loads.

But to answer your original question, if the new processor is the same model
PLC5/80 then just check the dip switches and download the program.

Last edited:
Could be heat related. I had a 5/80E in a room that normally ran about 40F higher than ******t, so in the summer time, the temperature often exceeded 140F, ran great for about 5-6 years, then the cpu started faulting like yours. If we opened the doors and but a huge fan blowing in air, it would run longer, but still fault every day two. Replaced processor, and installed an AC unit on the panel. End of problems, been running for about 8 years since, no problems.

Can you try the fan trick, until you get a new processor?

Reseat all modules and cables.

Check power as well.. Perhaps try putting a UPS ahead of the power supply.

Possibly swap the power supply.

Complete memory loss is most often a power problem on these PLC's.