Analog Modules Used along with siemens S7 400 PLC

Kakka

Hi..all..I am a newbie in this field..trying hard to acquire some good knowledge in this field.

While studying about the analog input modules in Siemens..i came across modules which have 13-bit and 16-bit resolution..

Actually where comes the difference bet this 2 modules...is it in the measuring ranges of the two modules..

I know that a 16 bit modules which i use has a measuring range of

-27648 (-100%) to 27648 (+100%) and i know that for a module having res. less than 16, the LSB will be left justified.

Now what will be the case if it is a module having 13-bit resolution...

I am looking for help from some one in this topic..

Hello kakka;
Siemens'a S7 analog modules are all standardized, which means whatever the resolution of the module all values avalable on the PIWxxx/PQWxxx addresses will be scaled to 0-27648 or +/- 27648.
This is not the case with other manufacturers, where you might have to scale to different values depending on the resolution.
The difference between modules of different resolution will be the "height" of each step. The numerical scale value will use larger steps with low-resolutioon modules, finer steps with high-resolution modules.
Siemens provides FC105/FC106 to scale and unscale values from/to the different analog modules. You can locate these in the TI-S7 conversion library.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier