Unity Pro - user comments?

JohnW

Hi guys,

I have just started using Unity Pro, my first thoughts are it is quite powerful and I like the tag based variables similar to control logix. The ladder editor sucks! what a disappointment.

I have still got a lot to get to grips with, my first project is converting an application from Step7, any tips?

I've been using UnityProXL V4.0 for a couple of months and I am impressed. I too am a big ControlLogix user but this project involved converting a site with large Modicon 984's to Quantum processors. I loved 984's in their glory days (ie. 20years ago) but have been an AB fan for a long time.
I have found UnityPro to be stable, fully featured and very powerful. The auto conversion from 984 to Unity worked extremely well.
My only gripes are some of the default project settings are not what I would normally use, so need to check all these options carefully. Also the data backup/load is seperate activity from program backup/load.

I recently finished my first project using UnityPro. Just my opinion… On the downside I found the software to be rather buggy, the documentation to be convoluted and poorly written. Fortunately, I found Tech Support to be very responsive and well informed.

were u using V4.0. Try as I might I can't crash it and to me its seems almost bug free. It does need a machine with a bit of ram but a core2duo with 2 gigs ram and it runs very smoothly. Tag scrolling very fast. Searching almost instantanous. Manuals are very long PDF's but its all there somewhere...they are not alone in writing long manuals. I think they have done a pretty good job going full IEC languages while keeping legacy Modicon IO and addressing compatability. I know I sound like a fanboy but at the beginning of this project I was expecting a potential disaster and really wished client had bitten the bullet and gone AB as the rest of their plant is. But now they keep their massive 800 series IO investment and go foward with Quantum IO as needed.

Unity is much better than the older Modicon software.

The big caution is the scanning. It follows the old 984 convention, and scans each page by column top to bottom and then left to right to the next column and so on. If you aren't careful this will give you some very unusual results.

I was using UnityPro V4.0 and did have a few crashes. Other problems included tag issues that could not be resolved through Tech Support so we had to send them a copy of the program (still haven't heard back on that yet).

I also found myself spacing out the logic to keep the tags and documentation from being truncated and easier to read. I know you can configure around this but then you run into other issues like the ladder gets stretched and hard to read; the text gets too small; or the address descriptions are strung out over 6 or more lines as in the example below:

PAHH-302
High High
1st
Stage
Discharge
Pressure
Alarm

I found there were some real font issues. I had to adjust my Windows fonts to be able to read some dialogue boxes. And the text in the documentation box that pops up when you hover over an address is almost too small to read.

Functionally the PLC worked very well. IMHO, the software just needs some refinement.

Last edited: