Budget friendly Siemens PLC Question

jakeh56

Hello,

I am an instructor for Madisonville Community College and I am creating a trainer for our new Power Plant Tech program. Our program is Siemens Mechatronic Certified and I have to use Siemens PLC for any trainers used for our program. I am looking for a budget friendly Siemens PLC that has analog/digital input and output capabilities. I would prefer a micro version. Any suggestions? Thank you and God Bless.

Jake <><

Some of the s7 200 series plcs have 2 built in analogue inputs and you can buy an analogue output expansion module. I am guessing this will come out at $300 + $100, but prices in the states may be cheaper. The programming software is reasonably easy to get going with and the plcs can be connected to HMI's etc.

I would be tempted to get a distributor to demo the system - in the current climate you might get a good deal?!!

I personally use the 300 range but this is more expensive!

Siemens is very cooperative when it comes to training in schools, at least over here in Belgium. I would recommend using S7-224XP PLCs, because these have 2 analogue inputs and one analogue output on-board. If you contact your local distributor and explain your situation, you might get very reasonable discounts and maybe a version of the software you can copy on a number of computers. About 2-3 years ago they had an offer of this kind for schools over here comprised of 10 PLCs, 10 PPI cables and copyable software for the price of about 5 PLCs.

Kind regards,

I would be cautious about selecting the S7-200 range of PLCs.
It doesnt share the same instruction set as the main Siemens PLC range. And Siemens has just recently announced the successor S7-1200 that do share the same instruction set as S7-300/400. So S7-200 is entering obsolesence.

The S7-1200 isnt yet available, so if it cannot wait then I would take a look at IM151-8. It is relatively cheap, reasonably performant, and has ethernet onboard which saves on the otherwise required programming hardware. And this is relevant in a classroom with many student PCs.

Thanks everyone for the valuable information. The trainer has to be built by spring 2010, but I wanted to get ahead of the game and start now. Your help has been invaluable and hopefully I can find a good discount from Siemens as our budget is very tight right now. God Bless.

Jake <><