weight in a tank

irondesk40

I have a question that I hope someone can help with.
If you have a tank that is 12ft in height and 6ft in diameter, how would you calculate the weight of water that may be in the tank, or the weight of peroxide?

Thanks

If you have a tank that is 12ft in height and 6ft in diameter, how would you calculate the weight of water that may be in the tank, or the weight of peroxide?

Thanks

Measure the pressure at the bottom.

The area is 0.7854x144²=5184 in²

Weight = psi x 5184

Area is ΠR²
Area is Divide the Diameter (6) by 2 to get the Radius of the Tank.
Multiply the Radius by itself, and then multiply that answer by pi()~ 3.14159
Now you have the area of the cylinder.
Multiply the area by the height to get the Volume.

So 6/2=3
3*3=9
9*3.14159 ~28.27
28.27*12=339.2
So your volume is ~339 Cubic Feet
Go on the internet and figure out the weight of a Cubic foot of peroxide is.
If you can only find Weight per gallon.
Download Convert for Windows
Use this to convert your Volumes
so 339 cubic feet is ~2536 Gallons
Good luck!

If you need precise weight information there are load cell installations available, just google load cells for tank weighing.

Thanks

Most tanks have a manufacturer's plate that indicates date of manufacture, pressure ratings and volume.

Measure the pressure at the bottom.

The area is 0.7854x144²=5184 in²

Weight = psi x 5184

[/quote]

My mistake, I used 12 ft as the diameter, should have been 6 ft. Area = pi x d²/4

The area is 0.7854x72²=4071 in²

Weight = psi x 4071

Why would you go to the expense of a load cell when pressure will give you the exact answer?

Why would you go to the expense of a load cell when pressure will give you the exact answer?

I agree with Tom that a pressure sensor is a good way to go, but load cells can be an equally viable solution. The load cell solution will probably require a load cell under each support of the tank and a summing circuit - which are commercially available - but more expensive. A single pressure sensor mounted at the very bottom of the tank works great and is inexpensive. However it does not work well when a tank may contains a mixture of liquids that have different specific gravities and the ratio of the mix is unknown. If however your tank contents are known then the pressure transducer is simplest provided you can mount it off the bottom of the tank. If you get a pressure transducer with an output calibrated in units of inches of H2O then the transducer output also exactly equals the depth of fluid in your tank for water and other fluids with a specific gravity of 1.

Do you realy need the weight, if so TJ's solution is the easiest and it automaticly compensates for the material i.e. heavier material weighs more therefore more pressure.
If it's % full you are looking for perhaps something like radar or magnetorestrictive transmitter would be better.

I actually think that the OP's intention is to measure the volume in the tank, not the weight. But the two are directly proportional, the factor being the contents density, so I will continue assuming weight is required.

Measuring the weight of the contents of a tank can be directly obtained by the use of load-cells. This is the most accurate way, and it automatically compensates for whatever is in the tank, the tank's shape etc. etc.

However, this may not be the most practical way, as accurate measurement involves engineering the installation of said load-cells, e.g. Does the tank have legs that one or more load-cells can be installed on ?

In practice, the indirect method of measuring the hydro-static pressure at the bottom of the tank is usually the easiest to engineer, however, this is definately not measuring the weight of the contents, but is actually measuring the "fill level", or "hydro-static head" above the pressure transducer.

Now, for a tank with a uniform cross-section, converting the "head" to "weight of contents" is relatively simple maths, as it's just a linear scaling involving the fill-height, cross-sectional area (CSA), and density of the contents.

When the tank does not have a uniform CSA, as in the case of a conical or dished bottom, some linearisation is required to convert the "head" to weight around the fill level in the non-linear portion of the tank.

Linearisation can be performed inside the PLC, and a couple of methods can be used.

1. Use a look-up table. Have a set of head to weight (or volume) relationships stored in a 2-dimensional array, and interpolate the actual pressure reading between the two points above and below stored in the table. More points in the table can be provided where the tank is least linear, less, or even just 2 can be used when the fill level is linear (straight-sided part of the tank).

2. Perform complex trigonometric calculations to give the volume at the fill-height measured by the pressure transducer. (Not too bad with a conical, but horrendous with a dished-end, as there are usually multiple dish radii to consider)

Either way, the utmost accuracy will be obtained by filling the tank in metered stages, and recording the hydro-static head from the transducer. Using tank drawings is likely to be less accurate.

For my money, solution 1 is the easiest to implement.

The Linearisation can be performed outside the PLC. Many systems are available to give a direct tank contents reading from a hydro-static transducer, but they all have to have the linearisation data programmed into them.

However it does not work well when a tank may contains a mixture of liquids that have different specific gravities and the ratio of the mix is unknown.........If you get a pressure transducer with an output calibrated in units of inches of H2O then the transducer output also exactly equals the depth of fluid in your tank for water and other fluids with a specific gravity of 1.

Actually, the pressure transmitter with psi output is 100% correct regardless of material density, specific gravity, etc. as long as the tank is a constant crossectional area.

By definition:

Pressure = height x specific weight

(psi = in x lb/cu_in)

Total weight = area x height x specific weight

(lb = sq_in x in x lb/cu_in)

Therefore:

Total weight = area x Pressure

(lb = sq_in x psi)

(Note that density is technically mass per unit volume, and specific weight is weight per unit volume.)

Thanks
have posted a couple of questions in the last few days dealing with tanks, and with help from this site, have learned some very valuable info.