RSLgx5000 totalizer error

cmschleich

Hi,

I'm using the totalizer block within a user defined instruction. It interfaces with a user defined type tag structure.

I've tested it's operation several times and it seems to work fine most of the time. Every once in a while I get arithmitic overflow errors associated with the totalizer block in my user defined block. Thing is, when they happen, it doesn't matter what the input or totalized values are. I can do a fresh download with 0's, the totalizer enable input is off, and I still get the overflow error (see pictures, -1.$ is the fault). I've triple checked the data types I'm using to interface with the block. No dividing by 0's anywhere.

Anybody seen something similar with this instruction or others? The fact that these errors are intermitent is frustrating. I've seen them in the past, one way I got rid of them was redeclaring the instance of the block and tag structure, literally recreating the exact same tags and deleting the ond ones, and it goes away. Of course that is a total jury-rigged solution to the problem.

inside totalizer user defined block.jpg totalizer user defined block.jpg

Last edited:
What is the value before it goes stupid?

It is possible to overflow, and effectively divide by zero with your .0029355 conversion factor if that is in a divisor. You could be running out of significant digits for reals in your calculations.

I actually don't know. It seems like when I see it, it happens from there on out even with a fresh download and zeros in the totalized values. Onsite the totalizers have never even come remotely close to the limits of a real.

Okay, I read your link about asking smart questions too. I've tried to input dummy values into many of the inputs (like a constant of of 4 instead of a 0.0). I tried eliminating wire connectors. I haven't tried changing my conversion factor, I can try that. As I mentioned, in the past the only thing I've found that fixes it, is redeclaring the tag structure instance and function block instance for the totalizer, but this appears to be a temporary fix. And I've read everything I could on the AB site and RSLogix totalizer help.

Last edited:
I have had similar experience with the PIDE instruction, no matter what I did it wouldn't work correctly. Deleted the block and set it up again with the same settings and it worked perfectly. I put it down to one of the memory locations being over-written or something like that.
Best of luck
Roy