S7 Profibus DP configuration

No income tax, no capital gains tax. Freedom!
I have a S7-315DP with Step7 5.1. I am trying to configure the profibus with a motion controller that has a .GSD file but is not in the Siemens catalog. Siemens has not made adding third party .GSD files to their catalog obvious. Does anyone know how to add third part .GSD files to the Siemens catalog. I have looked through all the options in Netpro and I haven't seen how the .GSD files are imported. In my old Step7 5/0 catalog the third party motion controllers went in the sonstige ( other ) directory but this directory no longer exists.

While I am asking. I also have a CP5511 PCMCIA Profibus DP card. Can this be used to program the S7-315DP? ( What else could it be good for? ) Anyway, do I plug the CP5511 into the Profibus DP port or the MPI port. At this time my MPI and serial Com port seem to be working but I would like to free up the serial com port and used the CP5511 because it doesn't interfere with the RS LINX. ( I do RA stuff too ).

I know one of guys knows the answer.

Thanks

The CP5511 can do MPI or Profibus, its quirky though to get working. In control panel where S7 is installed will be Setting the PG/PC interface, you will have 4 options
Auto
FWL
MPI
Profibus

Try to use this card in the first slot without any other cards in especially a 3com Ethernet card.

If you havent bought the CP5511 yet...DONT get the CP5512, its more reliable and will function like the 5511 if you havent gotten the upgrade for Simatic.net with the 5512 drivers. For XP you will need the updated S7 and Simatic.net and the CP5512.

Peter I figured you knew the differences between using MPI and Profibus so didnt go there.

CP5511. This is a PC CardBus Card. It supports Profibus DP, MPI, FWL, and PPI for the S7-200 bricks. Yes, you use the CP5511 to program via and Profibus.

Go into the Hardware Configuration program. Close any open configs and go to Options -> Install new GSD. Your motion controller will be in the hardware catalog

Too late.

I already have the CP5511. I have had it for a year or more, but this is the first time I have needed to S7 programming on a real computer. ( Most of the time I just use the Step 7 to help others with the STL code ). It has been 3.5 years since I last programmed a S7 and longer since I have had to configure one.

I will check out the control panel tomorrow.

One of the other guys here remembered the HWConfig screen. I was looking at the NetPro screen.

Anyway, the greeen Profibus DP light is on. :)

Thanks.

Hi.

You can trying to configure the profibus with a motion controller that has a .GSD file. For adding .GSD files to the Siemens catalog you need to go into HW config, then inside go to Tools and put install a new GSD files, nothing more, them search your new GSD file in the Siemens catalog

Look this example:

Best regards

dibujo.jpg

connecting to Profibus socket

When I tryed connect to profubus socket of S7-316-2DP there was light of red SF and I unconnect socket. I used CP5511 and MPI cable. Maybe I must use Profibus cable (but I think both almoust equal)

If you havent bought the CP5511 yet...DONT get the CP5512, its more reliable and will function like the 5511 if you havent gotten the upgrade for Simatic.net with the 5512 drivers. For XP you will need the updated S7 and Simatic.net and the CP5512.

Exactly, I have also a CP5511 card but since I have installed Wintendo XP Pro I can not use it anymore. The answer to me from Siemens Support (DE) is that the CP5511 is an old technology and sometimes it will not work..., contact a branch office of Siemens...
But before I buy this CP5512 card (my boss is crying very loudly for his dollars $$$), I want to be sure that it will works with my step 7 version v5.2
Best regards

Last edited:
I use the USB/MPI adapter and have a friend using a 5512.
Although I'm sure he's faster, we can't see the difference with our eyes even while monitoring. It's really fast and doesn't take up any more space in your bag than the adapter you will need to plug into your PCMCIA card. AND it's half the price as mentioned before. I think around $380.00US