Dynapar Encoder, MicroLogix 1500, 1769-HSC configuration

wannalearn

Hi all,

Before I ask my question, a list of hardware may assist in the search for a solution.

Micrologix 1500 Base Unit: 1764-24BWA Ser B
Micrologix 1500 Processor Unit: 1764-LRP Ser C
DSI/Modbus RTU Communication Module: 1769-SM2 Ser A
High Speed Counter Module: 1769-HSC Ser A
Panelview C600: 2711C-T6C Ser B
Dynapar Encoder: HS351024844B7
Powerflex 4 VFD

OK, now that you know what I have, here's my goal:

I have everything connected and communicating with each other, but I want to use the encoder to tell me where the motor is, and the motor's location (in a linear motion control application) be manipulated by a "recipe" in the panelview c600 using the Powerflex4 VFD. We currently have about 11 manual adjustments on a machine and they want them converted to automatic adjustments.

My question: What do I need in the program to see an accumulation of the pulses from the encoder? The lights flash on the HSC module, but I want an accumulation register in the program to reference for positioning..., right?

If I had an adjustment of 24 inches, a scale of some sort seems like what I would need... 0 = 0 inches, 100 = 24 inches, right...? For this particular adjustment, I need the motor at 50 = 12 inches...

Sorry for the length of the post, but I'm pretty confused right now. Oh, and sorry for the 3 questions instead of 1, but I'm still confused... A good resource for resources or program examples would be beneficial, I think. I've been all over Rockwell Automation's website and Knowledgebase, but leave more confused than when I started.

wannalearn

HSC accumulator

This should help you get no the right track for monitoring the HSC accumulator. Check out the Function Files and HSC tab.

ML1500_HSC.jpg

No, that would be if you were using the HSC on the Base 1500 unit.

The 1769-HSC is a separate module and will be addressed in the Output Data File.

You will have to configure the module in the I/O Configuration.

Go to http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/ , search by Publication Number, and search for Publication 1769-UM006. This is the User Manual for the 1769-HSC and Appendix C includes an example of programming the module in a MicroLogix 1500.

Last edited:
I seen the HSC0 and HSC1 in Function Files, but thought that was for the "onboard" counters available with the 1500.

I configured the module in I/O Configuration, but don't know what to put in the ladder logic program to see the results of the encoder actually working. I know it works, because A, B, and Z flash on the module, but I can't figure out how to reference that information in the program...

I seen the HSC0 and HSC1 in Function Files, but thought that was for the "onboard" counters available with the 1500.

I configured the module in I/O Configuration, but don't know what to put in the ladder logic program to see the results of the encoder actually working. I know it works, because A, B, and Z flash on the module, but I can't figure out how to reference that information in the program...

Input Data File I:<slot # of HSC module>.4 and .5 contain the 32-bit count value that the module has accumulated.

You will also have to set the Counter Enable bit for that counter - bit 0 in Output Word 5 enables counter 0, Bit 0 in Output Word 6 enables counter 1, etc.

Use a CPW (Copy Word) instruction with Source: #I:<slot number>.4, Destination: (an L (long word) file location), Length: 2 (number of 16-bit words to copy). This will copy the 32-bit count into the 32-bit data file location.

Wonderful news! I can see an accumulation of numbers...!

When the shaft is rotated forward, the numbers go up and when the shaft is rotated in reverse, the numbers come down. It may sound silly, but that's progress...! Thanks for the info.

Of course, I have another question: the encoder is a hollow-shaft type that mounts directly to the motor shaft. When I turn the motor output shaft fast, the numbers don't change but a couple of digits, sometimes not at all. If I slow down, the numbers steadily progress. Is there an update or communication speed that I may have set wrong, because with the motor at 400 or 800 rpm's, there's no way the numbers will change if they don't with the turn of my hand...

When you configured the module, did you set any of the filter settings for A, B, or Z for that counter? If so, you may want to set them to 'none'. Otherwise, I'd make sure the coupling isn't slipping on the shaft. See if there is a set screw or such.

Right, again!

I changed the filters to "none", and things are working the way I imagined them to work, now. Thank you for responding...

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but want to play with what I've learned so far. I'll be back...

Thanks again,
wannalearn

OK, since I've made it this far, I have come up against another something I can't grasp...

What I want (if possible): I want to give the Powerflex4 a command to go to a specific location (for example -250000) and the program to know whether the drive needs to run forward or reverse to get there, and make it happen, all with the push of a button on the PanelView touchscreen.

As you see in the previous posts, I have the encoder sending an accumulated value to L9 and being referenced there. Everything is working as it should, I just don't know where to start to tell it to do what I want. Forgive me if that's too much, but a place to start would be sufficient, and I'll do my normal "try it and see" approach until I get completely frustrated again and have to ask another question about where to start.

Just a "status report":

I have timers, outputs, Less Thans, Greater Thans, and a few other things put together in the program, and it's working. I haven't figured out how to make the drive start in the direction needed yet, but I have the motor starting or stopping depending on its location. Thanks for the help in getting as far as I am. My RSTrainer DVD showed up today, so I can't wait to see what it involves...

Thanks again,
wannalearn