Siemens Communication between PLC (1-2)

profmaster

Hi,

I need some info regarding Siemens PLC.
I'm new with this model, Siemens Simatic 505 Family, CPU PLC 555
I think this is very old model. I need do some modification.

Is that possible I use RS232 to communicate with PLC.
I want make from 1 PLC(main) to 2 PLC(slave).
How I want communicate between PLC CPU using RS232?

I found each CPU board have 2 com port. RS232 #1 and RS232 #2.
RS232#1 is connected to Touch Screen and RS232#2 still available.

What I must to do?
shrug.gif

One more thing, I found 1 card that know as Peerlink at each PLC rack.
What is that?

Please help.
helpsmilie.gif

Thanks....

If each PLC has a Peerlink card, they are most likely already passing data between each other.

Peerlink is a local area network that provides an inexpensive and easily
implemented solution for small controller networks. Typically, a major factor
in this application is rapid, frequent transfer of data between controllers. By
using an HDLC-like protocol for data integrity and rapid transmission, the
Peerlink network can transmit 16 words to 16 controllers in less than 75 ms
at maximum load. The Peerlink network can operate at distances up to
10,000 feet.

Peerlink is transparent to your applications program and transmits the
data directly to the controller variable memory. No programming is
necessary, since you only have to define the starting address. Peerlink
provides two fault tolerance methods; media redundancy, or active/passive
monitoring.

Each controller on the TiWay network with a Peerlink module must have 16 Words of memory designated for each PLC on the network. So if you only two plc's you will need 32 contiguous words of memory designated.

The peerlink data is multi-cast type data, each PLC sends 16 words to all nodes, hence the memory requirement. From within ladder you read/write to the memory locations.

Take a look at this manual: http://www2.sea.siemens.com/NR/rdonlyres/F884CFBD-5DA7-4357-99E6-F697B9D35DAD/0/TW81272.pdf

It's for a 500 series peerlink module, I do not know if they ever made a 505 series peerlink, but the operation would be very similar.

I have never seen an application that exchanged data via the serial ports, I don't think you can, but I could be wrong.
You could always install a PC as a communication bridge, and pass data via OPC, but I never like depending on a PC for process control.

You could also use a RedLion Data station to connect the two: http://www.redlion.net/Products/HumanMachineInterface/DataStationPlus/DataStationPlus.html

Last edited:
Hi Ken,

Thank for your support.
I already read the manual, but I don't understand.
How I want control one of the I/O from main PLC, to slave PLC.
Is that I need some program to call this I/O?

peer.JPG

Hello Profmaster

Sorry for the late response en in the meanwhile you already solved your problem but if not

What kind of communication cards are installed in the TI bases you can see this at the type number
For example 505-CP1434TF? Or a 505 tiway card(don,t know the number at this moment).

Regards
Henny

Hello

The communication modules you seem to have inserted are the so called Tiway modules.
Twelve years ago we used them for communication between TI plc,s and our scada system wizcon.
At about mid nineties we replaced the tiway modules for H1 modules and now we are still using these models for communication between TI plc,s and our Scada and also for communication between the TI plc,s.

In the past we never used Tiway for communication between the TI plc,s so unfortunately I have no experience at that point.
Anyway here is a link to the Siemens site where you can download a manual for the module and the Tiway network .
http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/view/en/17514845

In a previous answer Ken Moore mentioned that it is possible to share data between two plc,s over the Tiway network and the manual contain some examples so I hope this will help.

I don’t know the TI plc,s have a profibus port but if so it would also be possible then to exchange data between those two plc,s over profibus using a so called DP/DP coupler.

But hopefully you can succeed to exchange data over the Tiway network.

Regards
Henny