Trying to collect data from OPC will only update in 1 cell ,not entire column

Rob S.

I know this is not a excel forum but would you have any ideas.For your information it is Cognex Insight OPC Server
I am collecting data from a OPC server. I was able to drag and drop a tag from opc to excel spreadsheet and the cell updates
just fine,example:A2 48.6 , A2 46.3 , A2 47.7. But what I
would like to do is have it update like a datalogger example: A2 47.7 ,A3 46.3 , A4 48.6 , A5 47.8 , A6 45.9,etc. so I can look at previous data.Is there a way I can increase the
"data cell range" within the excel setup, or maybe a formula ,or maybe I need to purchase a add-in for excel to do this?

Thank You so much for your help ,have a great weekend.

You will probably want to write a macro for Excel that will capture the "live" data from your OPC data cell and copy the value into an incrementing cell number at periodic intervals.

I am not very good with VBA so I would have to pass on giving advice how to go about writing the code.

Paul

I have only used RSLinx PRo for data collecting , and there when set up your data source you have to tell it how many data records to follow. I believe Excel will only let you go uas high 100. Either way there must be a setup point you are overlooking, try using the HELP file, most (OK some) software help directories can actually be useful. Good luck

What is the purpose for the data?

DO you want to display a realtime graph of inspection data or actually log the data to a file?

Do you have a PLC and HMI on the machine?

Last edited:
But what I would like to do is have it update like a datalogger example: A2 47.7 ,A3 46.3 , A4 48.6 , A5 47.8 , A6 45.9,etc. so I can look at previous data.Is there a way I can increase the
"data cell range" within the excel setup, or maybe a formula ,or maybe I need to purchase a add-in for excel to do this?

I do this everyday, I use and Excel add in called XLReporter from www.sytech.com, you can download it and try it with no cost only work for two hour but that is enough to test it. Their examples are clear and easy to follow.

excel

If you will send me an E-Mail I will send you one you can reverse engineer.

It has been plagerized, changed and reversed but you could study it and apply it to yours

Clint

1. You could use DDE if the Cognex OPC Server supports it (many OPC Servers also support DDE)
2. You could force the data into Excel using an OPC Server for DDE
3. You could use the DA Automation dll and vb code to get the data into Excel.
4. You could use an Excel plugin for OPC.

Maybe a little vendor bias going on, but having done all 4, the Excel plug-in is by far the easiest to initially setup and the easiest to reconfigure later.

Last edited: