Mitsubishi GX Dev SW 7.1 and modem Communication

Mike Carter

This is my first post to this website so please bear with me.
I am using Mitsubishi's GX Developer software ver 7.11 with Q3A CPU based PLC's. We can connect directly with no problem using the special cable and a PC. We have connected a US Robotics sportster 33.6 modem to a CJ71QCN24 module that resides in the PLC rack. This is done so the OEM can remotely connect to this CPU for online troublshooting assistance.
From my local office, using a Hayes 9600 modem and GX developer we can dial up to the PLC by using the "Tools" "Set TEL data" feature. The modem will dial, the other modem will connect, and the protocols will succesfully negotiate. After that the software is wanting to set a password. We have no password set in the software settings at the machine side PLC or at my desk. Eventually it times out and disconnects. I need to mention no project is selected at this point. We are merely attempting to connect to the PLC, upload the data to GX Developer for troubleshooting purposes.
My question is, has anyone done this using GX developer? The software appears designed to do just what I want but my lack of Mitsubishi experience is showing up at the wrong time.
Any help anyone might have would be greatly appreciated.

We regularily install modems on our machines, and usually they are Mitsubishi PLCs. I have an external modem sitting on top of my PC that is the "recommended" one for Mitsubishi. Supposedly you buy one for your desktop, and a matching one for the machine. This setup lets you use a higher baud rate for communications (other modems work, but are not as fast). BTW, this is what the Mitsi rep told us, and convinced the boss on, if anybody can prove me wrong, please do so...

After an initial set-up, the system worked fine. There is a password in the modem itself, that is setable through the configurations. Default setting was 0000.... You can also turn this password off in the configurations.

I would guess that you need to get into the configurations of your modems and turn the password off (or change it to what you want-- without it, anybody could dial in and play with your program!)

Sorry-- forgot to mention that this is all done outside of GX Dev. We dial up with hyperterminal, connect the modems, and from then on it is as if we are connected directly to the PLC (Serial cable going from PC to Modem)

Last edited:
I've been looking at installing modems to my mitsi plcs and one desktop one for my laptop.

Is it possible to use other modems other than mitsi?

What is a CJ71QCN24 module?

Can't find it in any catalogues?

What would you need to add an ordinary modem to a fx2n or is it cheaper and easyer to just buy mitsis modem?

The Mitsi modem we use is cheap enough-- don't think there is much difference between the one we got and any other desktop modem. Part Number is simply Desk-Modem-2 (for desktop version...) and DIN-modem-2 (for DIN-rail version...) from our local Mitsi man.

According to the paperwork, you can use other modems, but you will not get the speed you would with the Mitsi setup.

These modems are not installed directly on the PLC, but act pretty much as extension cables for your programming cable (you leave the machine always plugged in to the modem). This means buying an extra cable for every machine, but weigh that against a couple trips to the customer site, and it all comes back quick. I belive they can be used on any PLC, as long as the pinning is right on your cable.

AndEdtec said:
What is a CJ71QCN24 module?

Can't find it in any catalogues?

What would you need to add an ordinary modem to a fx2n or is it cheaper and easyer to just buy mitsis modem?

The actual part number was AJ71QC24R2. Please accept my apology. This module is a 2 channel RS232 communication module that plugs into the rack of a Q3ACPU type PLC.

http://www.meau.com/Files/IB_NA_66610-A.PDF

The_Wanderer said:

Sorry-- forgot to mention that this is all done outside of GX Dev. We dial up with hyperterminal, connect the modems, and from then on it is as if we are connected directly to the PLC (Serial cable going from PC to Modem)

So, instead of using an optional RS232 module mounted in the rack you merely plug the RS232 cable between the modem and CPU's communication port that you would normally plug your PC into if you were at the PLC site?

I was able to use Hyper terminal to connect modem to modem with no problem. When I started GX DEV is when I run into problems. I still have the modem connected to the AJ71QC24R2 module. GX developer allows me to configure transfer setup this was but I get com port errors when testing the connection. I'm using Win ME software on the PC that is running GX DEV.

Yes.

In our setup, the modem is actually mounted outside the control panel. We actually have it permanently attached to the back of whatever HMI is being used on the machine (Mitsi E-series usually) with the standard RS232 programming cable, as if the modem was doing the "programming". This way we can change the program in either the HMI or the PLC. On my desktop I have a RS 232 going from my PC to the desktop modem.
When I need to connect, I dial up using hyperterminal, connect to the modem, and then close hyperterminal. After that, I can open GX developer or E-designer for the HMI, and upload/download/monitor as I please.

So far, this has only been used in cases where we used the Fx2N PLC's, but I can't see why that would rule out the A-type or Q-type, since the modem is just acting as a go-between, and the only worry would be getting the right programming cable.

The_Wanderer said:

When I need to connect, I dial up using hyperterminal, connect to the modem, and then close hyperterminal. After that, I can open GX developer or E-designer for the HMI, and upload/download/monitor as I please.

OK! But when you close Hyperterminal, the connection stops. How do you get this Hyperterminal to keep the connection open after you close the program?

I've tried this and I wonder how you do this.

If Hyperterminal can close without loosing the modem connection, this will help on many apps which don't have a modem setup menu.

More specifically, the Q02 CPU which does not seem to support a direct CPU serial port / modem connection.

THere is a bit of software that comes with the desktop modem-- just called "A2S". That runs hyperterminal for you-- makes sure all the settings are set right, etc. It also holds the connections open after you close hyperterminal, you have to reopen hyperterminal to hangup (or just unplug the modem...). It is a transparent program, so that I had forgotten all about it, was just clicking on hyperterminal and working.

However, all this seems to be useless. We just went to order antoher one for a machine in progress, and were told that as of last week, these modems are not available anymore, are not being produced at all, and there will be no alternative available (through Mitsubishi at least) for another 6 months at least.

Soooo, we have a machine that is using a FX2N PLC that we need to be able to communicate with remotely. Any pointers on how to go about it?

Give it a shot...

Here is the software for our modems. It was technically freeware, so I have no bother giving it away, especially since the modems are not available anymore. It looks like it might be some use though...

I will try it today.

Here is the setup which is giving me problems.

I have the link like this:PC Desktop with USR Modem / Phone line / --- / USR 56K / SC09 / E900 (rs422) transparent mode / E900 rs232 / Q02(H) programming port.

I hunderstand that the SC09 will lack a 24 Volts supply in this setup so I will first try directly between my desktop and the Q02.

In this setup I also have a E150ET and a
Fx1n

Will give all a shot and feedback...

Hey! Many thancks for the freeware.

First, lets find the cable.

Pierre said:

OK! But when you close Hyperterminal, the connection stops. How do you get this Hyperterminal to keep the connection open after you close the program?

I've tried this and I wonder how you do this.

If Hyperterminal can close without loosing the modem connection, this will help on many apps which don't have a modem setup menu.

The answer is DTR...

Dropping DTR makes the modem hang-up.

You can either:

Make the modem ignore DTR (AT command for USR modem: &D0 = DTR override. DTR always on)
or
Put a 9 V battery between DTR and GND....

Make the modem ignore DTR (AT command for USR modem: &D0 = DTR override. DTR always on)
or
Put a 9 V battery between DTR and GND....

Tancks!

By the way, could anyone confirm this cable I just built?

DB25 (M) / DB9 (M)
--2---------+---------2--
--3---------+---------3--
--4---------+---------7--
--5---------+---------8--
--6---------+---------6--
--7---------+---------5--
--8---------+---------1--
--20--------+---------4--
--22--------+---------9--

(DB25 being on the modem side)

Last edited: