Electric vehicle status

leitmotif

OK here is status report of electric vehicle project.
1. Have the vehicle to be adapted. Have 91 Izuzu and 56 Chev pickup.
2. Thinking of doing first in Izuzu and seeing how all works out then putting in Chev.
3. Just bought the drive motor from Boeing Surplus. Paid nickel on dollar so that loosens up some bucks to spend on VFD.
4. Motor
Leeson 50 HP
3550 RPM (to enable direct couple to driveline)
inverter rated 208 230 460
5. Anybody got a spare inverter just laying around and getting in their way?? Will pay freight and a jug of favorite libation plus a fair price on VFD. Donations happily accepted will still pay freight and the jug.

Dan Bentler

FORGOT one thing
must be able to tie battery using 2/0 to DC bus somehow which will take big terminals.

Markie Will use a 325 volt battery probably lead acid. After cost comes down a bit and they are field tested for two years then will go with Li ion. They are being used my many of the major players.

Flopro Thanks for the steer will check out.

Dan Bentler

After cost comes down a bit and they are field tested for two years then will go with Li ion.

Dan,

Have you read David Pogue's (NY Times) blog?
http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/19/electric-cars-for-all-no-really-this-time/
This one is about Lithium Ion batteries and this former SAP exec's plan. I know this will not work in your case, but it's an interesting concept.

The plan is the consumer never buys the batteries. So he is never waiting for the price to come down. This also lets the price of the vehicle compete with the price of an internal combustion model.

Yes I have read about them.
I believe the idea has a lot of merit.

The idea is nothing new - and the consumer will pay for the batteries - the only question is over what time factor? Sort of like compressed gas cylinders you can buy em up front or pay for them in rental.

Better Place has two efforts in mind.
1. Charging. That is nothing new cold climates have coin operated block heater outlets.
2. Battery swap out. Exchange discharged for charged. Just like you do with gas cylinders. Again nothing new. This would be good option for guys who drive long distance consultants PLC guys etc etc.

What is interesting is the level of non acceptance in the EV community. I dont understand this but it may be because
1. It is not my idea. EV guys are a bunch of do it yourselfers
2. Private effort. EV guys seem to think the government should foot the bill for electric vehicles. They just love tax incentives.

Will withold other thoughts and commentary.

Dan Bentler