micrologix 1100 and bootp-dhcp server

irondesk40

I have a couple of projects with the micrologix 1100, have posted quite a few questions on here the lau st week that have really been very helpful.

Now have a question about dhcp server.

What i am wondering is if i plug a new micro 1100 into a network switch that is also connected to our company network and also to my pc, then will you be able to see a list of the availiable ip address that could be assigned to the 1100.
I tried it, it came back with following screens.
Hate to ask so many questions, but have 5 very active projects and just limited on availiable hard drive and ram in my head, if you know what i mean.
Thanks

To find which IP addresses are currently in use, open a cmd prompt and type in this:
FOR /L %i IN (1,1,254) DO ping -n 1 10.2.77.%i | FIND /i "Reply">>c:'ipaddresses.txt

Then open the text file ipaddresses.txt, to see which addresses responded to the ping.
The downside is a device is off line, and did not respond, the address will show up as free.

Be carefull just plugging into your company network, you could cause lots of problems for your IT dept. I have learnt not to upset them.

If you are adding another DCHP server onto THEIR network, machines trying to connect could potentially be requesting from your server, and therefore not be able to get on the network; your name will be mud if it happens to the the CEO/MD who is trying to get his latest email :)

Most corporate networks have their own DCHP server, so when a computer goes on the network it gets allocated an IP. The IT dept can set it up so a machine just gets a free IP address, or by using the MAC address identification a certain machine ALWAYS gets the same IP address (and no other machine gets it)

The way I went round it was as follows; I did not want to rely on their DCHP server for allocation (what if I restarted my PLC and the link to the HMI through MY industrial switch was ok, but the DCHP server was offline???) SO what I did was get a range of IP addresses alocated to our engineering dept, that would NEVER be allocated out to any other machine on the company network. BUT crucially I select and set these MANUALLY on the PLC stuff.

I also (well still developing my project) keep the link between MY Ethernet Switch to the corporate network disconnected, unless I am working on the project. I must admit that connecting via IP and wireless is so nice and easy!

Hope that helps a bit :)

Last edited:
Thanks for advice. I called a friend who worked in IT and got a list of unused IP addresses and had some of them assigned to use.
Lot easier, and best way to keep a friend in IT who usually puts you at the top of the list when you call.

Thanks for advice. I called a friend who worked in IT and got a list of unused IP addresses and had some of them assigned to use.
Lot easier, and best way to keep a friend in IT who usually puts you at the top of the list when you call.

Great, glad you got it sorted. Just one warning (although your IT guy will have to explain it) make sure they are all in the same range and also on the same subnet etc.

PS. If you start playing and get the SMTP email working let me know. I would like my current project to email me faults :)