In over my head?! PROFACE

machinehead22

I recently bought an
Allen Bradley slc500 with a 5/03 processor, rack, isolated thermocouple card, some I/o cards.
I also bought a Proface Quickpanel JR qpj2d100l2p ser a.(yes i found the manual)

In frustration of the cost of usb programming cables i bought an older Compaq EVO n610c with a serial port, and 25pin printer port. (I wanted to be able to communicate to the 5/03 on the DH485 port) Spent $160 for computer and 1747-pic cable.

OK SO...The QPJr cable I have is a HMI-cab-c49/f (I assume this is the communication to the plc and not the programming cable) The Unit itself has a mini port and the 25 pin port. What cable would I need to program? Is it just any db9 to db25 cable? Is it possible to program with the printer port or is that apples to oranges? What software should be used, Quickdesigner? Where can I find an older version of this software for free?

I ended up Initializing the QPJr, but for some reason it seems to me that you should be able to see that the hmi is connected to the plc in RSLinx? My Channel settings were full duplex 9600k no parity set in the plc. After it initialized I can no longer push the 4 corners and go into the screen menu either?

Basically I'm lost on how to communicate to the HMI, its not something I've worked with much. Every plc I've had to troubleshoot was either already on a network or cable connection with little interaction with the hmi. Im currently working on a Home PLC System to take care of HVAC, Emergency power, outdoor power, security, and general monitoring. I had though this would be a good project to refresh my skills (I got out the the maintenance field a couple years ago). I already know there are cheaper systems. AND I have looked through the posts for some information, its possible I overlooked something or just plain dont know what im looking for.

Any help would be appreciated. Also any ideas for a plc you would use at home would be cool too!
Thanks
Tony

You should have done this home work before you bought.
The QPJ2 hardware will need QuickDesigner Version 3.x, it is not free. Proface 'may' have free software but I doubt it, unless of course you boot-leg it or use the generous GE Fanuc Demo version of Proficy Machine Edition Software that will (right now anyway) run for 4 days after each install.
The HMI-CAB-C49 is the cable to program the HMI, you can program it only through the round DIN connection. The PLC must talk through the 25 pin connector which is either RS-232 or RS-485, just configure and wire it properly, all this is in the manual, you may want to read it.
Have fun with it, and come on back when you get stuck.

To initialize press any 3 corners or press one corner as the unit powers up.
You will need the software to get it to "see" the PLC as that is the only way to load the proper protocol, also the protocol driver that is loaded into the HMI will set the baud, parity and stop bits, doing this in the hardware is futile.

Last edited:
Yes Russ your right, I know I wasn't anticipating how much software cost. Before i had started i had thought that RSview was able to program the QPJr. I'm thinking about calling Pro face today in Saline MI. Anyone know of a good reference/training book for HMI Programming?

Thanks
Tony