Consumed and produced tags

makingsense

Hey all, I am new to the plc world and have been recently appointed the controls guy for our facility.We use AB control logix L61 processors with CNB and DNB.We are useing 21 processors linked via ethernet to servers on a windows based application.I have the latest and greatest version of RS logix(versions 10- 16). I have never had a formal training course and come from an electrical background.I am holding my own so far but have not been able to find much info on produced/consumed tags. As I said we have 21 processors linked and I want to be able to use an input from one processor to turn on an output of another,eg.Jam eye panel 1 turns on beacon in panel 2.Anyway anyone know of any good sources and what else I should be looking into to get my knowledge base up to date? Thanks

Setting up produced/consumed tags requires the processor to be taken off line. If you cannot do that, another way would be to "listen" to the input card on the other plc.

You can add the input card from the 2nd plc rack to your I/O configuration as a listen only module, then you can use the inputs anywhere you like.

The manual you need is 1756-pm005_en-p.pdf you can download it from AB web page, this is the first page.
"This manual shows how to configure and use produced and consumed tags".

Thanks for the info.I am still haveing some issues with the consumed tag.I have made the module in the controller, when I create the consumed tag I am unable to pick/type in the controller of the produced tag.The drop down is blank.Now that I have said every curse word I know , I decided to ask for help again.:mad:

On the I/O tree of the processor where the consumed tag is located, did you add the producing controller?

Are you trying to add the consumed tags while online with the processor in run mode?
If memeory serves m correctly, you can only add them offline then download or with the processor in program mode.

OK, I have seen that in the past. Here's what I did to get around it. Make a new rung somewhere in the ladder program, add a bit level instruction (xic, ote, etc.). Name it what you want your new consumed tag to be named. Right Click on it and in the New Tag window it will allow you to change your Tag Type. Once you change it to Consumed, the Connection tab will become available and you can point it your produced tag from the other processor.
Just remember to check your Data Type and Array Dimensions before you click OK and make sure they match the Produced Tag.
Hope this works for you.