siemens S5 retentive timer

Hi..

Search in the manual S5 there have 5 tipes of Timer (SI,SS,SA,SV,SE) in german, you can find the book Hans Berger to learn it.

this is only a example:

U E0.0
L KT10.2
SV T2

U T2
= M0.0

BEST REGARDS

Wouldn't it be the case that you simply need to use a timer that is "specified" as retentive?

The manual should identify those timers that are and are not retentive.

thanks terry....but
with Allen Bradley retentive timers when the rung goes false the timer accumalted value is retained & when the rung goes true again the timer resumes from this point until it times out or the reset bit is active. in siemens when the rung goes false the timer accumulate remains but when the rung goes true again the timer starts again from the original preset. this is true of all the 5 types of timer available in siemens.

S5 Sucks! This is not the case in S7 (Texas Instruments).

You better do a "grab & save data" before allowing the reset. Then, upon resume, "reload saved current value" in the rung following the timer.

As usual this is not an area that I have dealt with alot. If my memory serves me correct you can use an SE timer as a retentative timer. Its been along time but I think it can be used where the input is required for it to time but the reset input has to be made to return it to the preset time or 0. Its been so long I get mixed up a little but I remember some of the timers counted down. Look a little closer at the SE timer and see if it wont do it.

S5 has no retentive timers at all. You have to save the actual value of the timer and reload it in the settings once the input goes high again.

And Terry, I wouldn't know why S5 sucks. I've been working with them for 10 years now and I know of some PLC's which are far worse! AB isn't perfect either. I don't hesitate to call S5 far better than AB when it comes to calling parameterized subroutines. On the other hand, AB beats Siemens in the field of communications without even getting out of bed!

Further, S7 is not TI, only S7-200 is. S7-300/400 also have no retentive timers at all!

Kind regards,

Yeah, I know... Jean-Claude

In general, whenever I mention S7 I mean the S7-200... not the -300/400. And of course, if I refer to "S7 (Texas Instruments)" then that really nails it down to the S7-200.

Of course, I can't really get away with that... The -300 & -400 are just as valid as the -200... although very, very different.

I just can't seem to accept the 300/400 into the S7 family... they are just so... S5!
...you know... different.

Of course, the "in-laws" are saying the same thing about the -200.

As far as S5 sucks... that's just another unsolicited opinion about a strange programming philosophy!

An alternate plan

Give this a go...........

Program this as a function block. Use it in your ladder logic.

Des: Enab (Enable input) I Bi
Des: Plse (Timing pulse true for one scan every time interval) I Bi
Des: Accu (regester to hold interval counts) I W
Des: Stpt (end time value) I W
Des: Out (output to show times up) Q Bi

A=out (If the output is on)
RB=Out (turn it off)

An=Enab (Not enabled?)
BEC (end here....Else)

An=Plse (not time to count yet?)
BEC (end here.....Else)

L=Accu (get the current count value)
Lkf1 (get a one)
+f (addumup)
T=Accu (save as new count)
L=Stpt (get the end count value)
<f (not full count yet?)
Bec (end here....else)
S=out (turn on the output)
Lkf0 (get a zero)
T=Accu (clear the count accumulator)
be (and end)

You nest this FB in your ladder logic and it makes one of those cute little boxes the AB and TI folks are so fond of and you add your parameters. The cool thing about Siemens stuff S5 and the adult S7's is you can make this stuff up and re-use it any time you like. So you stick this FB in your stash and use it when you need a retentive event doda. One word of caution....be sure you one-shoot the Plse input, unless of course you need a double gated scan counter.

Ya just gotta love that S5 stuff!!

Lenny

Last edited: