modem on DH+ network?

lalion

Hi, has anyone got a better idea than me on this.

I wish to get dial-in access to 2 SLC 500's connected by data highway plus network. I have also been told that there are 3 PanalView touchscreens connected to this network, can I connect my modem (Falcom A2D GSM modem) directly in to the network, or would I need to use an rs232 port on one of the plc's to access it and its neighbour (and how).

Also, does RSLogix or RSLinx have built in menu functions to do this for me; I've successfuly used these modems with Mitsubishi PLC's for dial up access using the 'Set TEL Data' --> 'connection' in GX Developer, i was hoping that Allen Bradley software does similar, but havn't found anything.

On a more general note, is there any [free] comprehensive info out there for an introduction to PLC networking.

You can dial into the RS232 port on one of your SLC-5/04 controllers and then use "DH+ Passthrough" to access the other devices on DH+. Data Highway Plus is a 57.6 kb synchronous network and the signals just won't pass through an asynchronous modem.

The DF1 Full Duplex driver in RSLinx has a "use modem" checkbox at the bottom that lets you enter phone numbers and AT command strings to be used when the driver initiates communication.

Iv'e just been told that one of the PLC's is a 5/03, not sure but I assume the other would be the same. Is there any way of using passthrough or similar with these.

It is possible to connect to a DH+ network via a KF2 box or via passthru over a SLC5/04.

But, to get a good advice you should provide info on the EXACT current setup, including how the SLC5/03 is connected. Get the part numbers and the network setup.

new problem

Discovered that they are both 5/04's, but I hit another snag, can't access them, been somewhat blocked out and cant even view em in RSLogix. I started a new thread explaining this exact problem, under the subject "Blocked out of an slc 5/04".