OT: Cordless Dremel

JOLTRON

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all,
This may be kind of a silly question but I have a cordless Dremel Multipro 9.6v DC and the battery's never seem to last long enough. Basically I'm wondering if I can build my own cord to attach to it or if I should just go by a corded version. The only data I can see on the battery is 9.6v what else should I look for?

Thanks for any suggestions,
-Joel

I'm currently looking into buying another but was trying to think of a way that I could use a 24v power supply that I have laying around to run it off of. But have no idea how to go about it.

You'll need to convert your 24VDC supply down to the 9.6VDC, I'd measure the battery at full charge to verify that it is 9.6VDC.

You can look for a voltage regulator that is rated for 9VDC, not sure if you'll find any that is 9.6VDC specifically, solder your output wires from your power supply to a board, along with the voltage regulator, a decent decent sized heat sink and the output wires, you should be good to go.

I think it's more hassle then it's worth...

Last edited:
Hello all,
This may be kind of a silly question but I have a cordless Dremel Multipro 9.6v DC and the battery's never seem to last long enough. Basically I'm wondering if I can build my own cord to attach to it or if I should just go by a corded version. The only data I can see on the battery is 9.6v what else should I look for?

Thanks for any suggestions, -Joel

Buy a second battery just like you do with cordless tools ??

Dan Bentler

I figured it would be a hassle but kinda felt like tinkering.

I have a second battery but they go quick, so now it's another battery and charger vs a corded model.

Most likely corded.

I remember reading somewhere that some rechargeable batteries get a 'memory'. That is, if it's at full charge and you use it down to 85%, say, when charged, the battery remembers the 85% as a full charge. This goes on until the battery runs a tool for about one screw.

IIRC, it is recommended to run the battery down to completely dead before recharging to combat this tendency.

YMMV