Logix Versions

plc noob

Will older versions of RsLogix open files created or modified in newer versions?

They appear to to me. But am i missing anything by using an older version?

I know from experience that panelbuilder will not open a file created in a newer rev.

We want to change some IT components before we upgrade to factory talk activation.

You have to change the revision of the CPU project to match with the version that you have installed. For example, if you are using Logix5000 version 13, you have to change the CPU revision 13.

Are you referring to RSLogix 500 or 5000? If you are using 5000 and have a license you should be able to get whatever version you need to match the rev #.

Last edited:
I would say you need to have the version that the project was created with or newer.

What is really cool is that the software won't give you any indication that your software is older than what the project in the controller to which you are trying to connect was created with...

No.

It'll tell you that the controller is corrupt, so you can go back and forth with the OEM of the equipment several times before someone figures it out.

Or you could come here, I guess.(y)

Well if you have the latest version of 500, which we normally do as an OEM, then you really don't have to be concerned about which version is loaded into the processor. We recently upgraded to v8.1 because it has support for the Micrologix 1400.

Well if you have the latest version of 500, which we normally do as an OEM, then you really don't have to be concerned about which version is loaded into the processor. We recently upgraded to v8.1 because it has support for the Micrologix 1400.

Oh, my beef isn't with the OEM's for having the latest version... my beef is with Rockwell for not having a little better way of letting the user know why his computer isn't connecting, other than some message that is completely irrelevent.... like maybe checking the version number.

Oh, my beef isn't with the OEM's for having the latest version... my beef is with Rockwell for not having a little better way of letting the user know why his computer isn't connecting, other than some message that is completely irrelevent.... like maybe checking the version number.

Or having RSLogix500 crash & burn.

It makes no sense what version last connected to the cpu. I can load a cpu with version 4.5 program, use RSLOgix500 version 7 to change something on-line and then 4.5 will crash when attempting to access it online.

It makes no sense as RSLOgix500 does not (AFAIK) compile anything & then load it. It works just like an old T3 terminal, sending commands.

logix 500 crash

thedaave2, When say that ver. 4.5 will crash in the case described do mean the software or the plc program in the CPU and shuting down the process? we have several plcs running on 4.1 and are concerned if upgrading to the latest version would cause problems. thanks

I believe he is referring to RSLogix, not the progrom running in your PLC. We have SLCs and Micrologixs running in the field at customers' sites that have been going for 15 years or more and I have never had a problem opening any of these programs and making changes. To have issues trying to open a project with an older version of the software is no different than most any software package. As long as the version of RSLogix you are using is the same or newer than 4.1 I wouldn't be concerned.

I think with rockwell's resources, financial and otherwise, they could come up with something better than the software displaying a message box telling you the controller is corrupt when you try to connect to the controller using a software version that is older than the one with which the project was created. ( man was that a convoluted sentence! )

Typically you would hope that, in the processor, would be a fixed section that says something on the order of - "This is a YY-ZZZ processor with XX.XX revision" - that would remain constant for the entire lifetime of all possible processors and revision levels. This would be able to be read by any level software and compared against its own levels and capabilities to give a somewhat coherent message concerning compatibility. --- That's the ideal.

The real world is that the YY-ZZZ has to become YYYY-ZZ.QQQ and the XX.X has to become XXXX.XX-X. This totally breaks the previous structure of the fixed area. It makes sense to a current level but to old levels it's GARBAGE and results in a 'I can't figure anything out about this? Or 'corrupted processor.'

If developers at one stage could anticipate the needs of all future stages the world would be great. Like the makers of DH485 couldn't forsee USB.

Typically you would hope that, in the processor, would be a fixed section that says something on the order of - "This is a YY-ZZZ processor with XX.XX revision" - that would remain constant for the entire lifetime of all possible processors and revision levels. This would be able to be read by any level software and compared against its own levels and capabilities to give a somewhat coherent message concerning compatibility. --- That's the ideal.

The real world is that the YY-ZZZ has to become YYYY-ZZ.QQQ and the XX.X has to become XXXX.XX-X. This totally breaks the previous structure of the fixed area. It makes sense to a current level but to old levels it's GARBAGE and results in a 'I can't figure anything out about this? Or 'corrupted processor.'

If developers at one stage could anticipate the needs of all future stages the world would be great. Like the makers of DH485 couldn't forsee USB.

I think you are exactly right, however, it seems to me that when this software would try to read the version where it is expected to be, and comes up with nothing that matches it's own version, that it COULD display a message box that says the controller's version does not match the version of the software.

I don't think a "corrupt controller" message box is appropriate at all... It's certainly not accurate.