Beckhoff twincat change programming language

JOLTRON

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all,

I have a new project coming up and it will require me to use twincat. I went to the beckhoff site and downloaded the 30 day trial to get a fell for it, but I can't seem to find where to change the programmin language to a Structured Text style. I tried opening the help file and that told me to download a full version. I tried opening a few help files online but they all said web page cannot be displayed. Can anyone help?

-Joel

Last edited:
Hello all,

I have a new project coming up and it will require me to use twincat. I went to the beckhoff site and downloaded the 30 day trial to get a fell for it, but I can't seem to find where to change the programmin language to a Structured Text style. I tried opening the help file and that told me to download a full version. I tried opening a few help files online but they all said web page cannot be displayed. Can anyone help?

-Joel

Hi,

When you insert a new POU, you select the language, see attached picture.

snap.jpg

ADDED: Also if anyone knows of a tutorial on how to setup and map I/O with the system manager it would be greatly appreciated. So far I have found OSCAT and have downloaded some basic programming examples from there.

Thanks WEO, but how about if a POU is already created?
I've clicked them, doulbe clicked them, right clicked them, edit object. But can't find anything to change something already created :(

ADDED: Also if anyone knows of a tutorial on how to setup and map I/O with the system manager it would be greatly appreciated. So far I have found OSCAT and have downloaded some basic programming examples from there.

This tutorial is made of a forum member, Archie, I think it´s a great if you´re a first time user of TwinCAT.

Maybe there´s more videos on youtube, do a search for Beckhoff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_nFE9wx8OM

Thanks WEO, but how about if a POU is already created?
I've clicked them, doulbe clicked them, right clicked them, edit object. But can't find anything to change something already created :(

I haven´t found a work around this, I think you must add a new POU and choose correct language from there.

You can convert POUs between certain languages, although I haven't tried it so I am not sure how it works. If you right click on the relevant POU it will give you the languages to convert between.

I have just completed my first project with TwinCat using 12 BC9100 controllers. Using ST to create custom function blocks meant the programming went quickly and chages to a single FB would be quickly copied across all the other systems.

Whilst I am sure other IEC languages function in a similar way I really liked how easy TwinCat made it to get the project how I wanted, and the integration with Indusoft was easy as well.

Jon.

Last edited:
You can convert POUs between certain languages, although I haven't tried it so I am not sure how it works. If you right click on the relevant POU it will give you the languages to convert between.

I have just completed my first project with TwinCat using 12 BC9100 controllers. Using ST to create custom function blocks meant the programming went quickly and chages to a single FB would be quickly copied across all the other systems.

Whilst I am sure other IEC languages function in a similar way I really liked how easy TwinCat made it to get the project how I wanted, and the integration with Indusoft was easy as well.

Jon.

Thanks, totally missed that with the conversion, maybe it wasn´t there in earlier versions.
Tried it and it works like supposed.

snap.jpg

Sweet, thanks.

I never would have looked into converting it. I thought it would have been more Like the Siemens 300 series where you just select your option under the VIEW menu option.