Analog values to excel

Kev77

I need some help with a project I am going to do. I use Allen Bradley for just about everything but this project will be $$$ for a small amount of data. I have 5 drying ovens that have temperature and humidity controls and I want to get the actual reading to an excel page every minute. Here is what I was going to use;

1. Micrologix 1100 or 1400
2. 2 analog modules (or (1) 8 channel from Spectrum Controls)
3. RSLinx single node
4. PC to run Linx and store information

Do I dare to venture outside AB. I have used other brands but not with data collection. It seems like a waste to not use any digital I/O.

Good morning:
You don't have to venture outside of AB. Are you familiar with DDE topics in RSLinx? What version of Linx do you have? And, are you somewhat familiar with Visual Basic for applications?
With these, you can create a very nice data "logging" scheme that will capture analog data to Excel on a timed schedule. You can then do some fun things (graphs, plots, etc) with the data. We are using a poptimer and datacollector for dryers, temps, steam flow, pressures, etc. and it works very well.

Good morning:
Are you familiar with DDE topics in RSLinx? What version of Linx do you have? And, are you somewhat familiar with Visual Basic for applications?

I have not purchased anything yet, I was just checking to see if there was a way to do it without a stand alone pc. Could it be possible to store the excel file on the network server? I don't think IT will like having Linx run on the network file server.

I have used VB in FTView SE and in MS Access. I will check into the OPC software.

Thanks,

Kevin

Could it be possible to store the excel file on the network server? I don't think IT will like having Linx run on the network file server.

Excel, wherever it runs, or indeed any other application that wants to fetch data from your PLCs/Controllers, will need an OPC server application through which the data is collected.

That is exactly what RSLinx provides, it is an OPC server, it "serves" the data to applications that ask for it.