What would you like to see in the "next generation" of PLC controllers / software?

kdcui

Lifetime Supporting Member
What would you like to see in the "next generation" of PLC controllers / software?

I'm curious of what you all would think you would like to see in future incarnations of PLCs and their respective programming software (RSLogix 5M! Step700!).

To name some ideas off the top of my head...

-User Interface improvements
-Expanded / Improved Functionality
-Stability
-Online IO Config changes?
-Better Wifi integration?
-Versatility?

Local fast food menu's.

What, you didn't get the McDonald's RSLogix package?

h1cxegeslunu2ot8pxt.jpeg

Just one new instruction....

ESP

🤞🏻

So that your program can defensively stop something really nasty happening !

I'll go for idiot lockout. Lock out those idiots who think a PLC can do anything they want to achieve without the need for learning how to do it. That way my business will be booming :ROFLMAO:.

An alternative is the aforementioned ESP. That way those idiots get what they want, but that's bad for my business. I would have to change to train idiots how to be a better idiot, but I'm afraid I'm not fully qualified to do so.

I'm afraid (and I hope that's the case) better manuals is the best option I'll get in the end.

Kind regards,

PLC software that from day 1 will run on the latest flavour that Microsoft develop.

Thinking we are just now starting to get software to run on Vista and its replacement is in beta testing

More flexible and powerful sequencer functions
For s7xx – multitasking
Integration of PC & PLC in one box…

Ditto on the USB programing port.... I am so tired of carrying a bag full of cables around... and the airport TSA folks give me a real funny look when I run my bag o' tricks thru the scanner...
GIVE US USB!...GIVE US USB!
(y)

David:site:🍻:site:

Last edited:
Ditto on the USB programing port....

As long as it is done right. The brand of PLCs I work with does have a USB port. However, it is not enabled by default - when starting a new project, one still has to connect via serial first, configure the USB, save the configuration, cycle power... Voila!

Since all the PLCs we use have an Ethernet port as well, this makes the USB port in effect useless.

- To support "Stage\State" programming (graphically)
- More statistical\math functions
- Improved communication instructions