Convert LAD to CFC

rasa258

Hi.
My company have a revamping project. The older PLC program is written with LAD language. But now, our client has requested for CFC language. Does every body know is it possible to covert LAD to CFC?If yes, please guide me.
Thanks a lot.
The older PLC is SIEMENS S7-300 and new is S7-400.

-------------------------------------------
I found the world most delightful rhyme: "I Love You"

Last edited:
Not sure about Siemens but normally you cannot go from ladder to anything else except Instruction List.

I have never heard of a request for CFC (Continuous Function Chart)? I have never messed with it but it looks like it could be good for some specialized applications but not for general I/O handling and machines.

It also looks like a large chart would be unwieldy to debug. (just my 2 cents here).

No, there is no way to do this automatically. But if you convert from LAD to FBD it will be easier for you to manually do the CFC - the images are somewhat equal (AND and OR, maths, comparators). The timers have to be changed (CFC-library: search for TIMER_P and CTUD).

Kalle

ndzied1 & KalleOlsen thanks for replies. You chilled me completely! If anybody else have information about this, please guide me. It's a large project with many analog and digital I/O's. If I should re-write the programs again, I will miss a lot of times!

First of all, I would make sure I understood what the customer wants. Maybe (hopefully) they just want a flow chart on paper (or in Visio software) showing how the machine works.

If they truly want CFC programms I would quote them 2 prices; one for the ladder version and one for the CFC version.

Also make sure they are not asking for it just because someone there thinks it's "cool". Putting an actualy value to this should make them determine if it is worth it to them or not.

CFC is not even an IEC61131 standard so you could play that front as well. They are asking for a machine that less people will understand and they will have additional training for all maintenence and engineering personel they would hire in the future.

The "continous" in CFC is meant for just that. If this is not a continous proces without sequences and boolean logic, then it makes zero sense to shoehorn LAD or FBD code into CFC.

You could possibly split it into a LAD part for the sequencing/logic, and a CFC part for the continous proces control. Maybe the part that could be relevant for CFC is just a small fraction of the code.

Some engineering departments that spec controls for processes think that everything can be expressed in a continous proces flow chart.