Mitsi Mines

If you set it smaller than the size of the program - then oops yes you will lose all steps after the allocated size.

If you set it larger, and other memory allocation allows it - then you will lose nothing and gain the extra program memory. (which I presume you are after) - do a check and if you get no errors its ok

Not Mitsi, but other brands that have memory allocations. You only allocate as much as needed, that way when you need a particular section increased, you do not have to de-cipher which allocations can be reduced.

On a side note, if the PLC allows you 8k, and you aren't using anything else, why on earth would somebody want to limit themselves to 5k?
In old Medoc times I've done this on FX-series to reduce download time.
Medoc always transferred entire size allocated to the program memory, whatever the program size was.
Do not know about GX-Developer, but believe it behaves similarly, as the download protocol should be a property of the PLC, not of the programming software.