Micrologix 1200 HSC with Linear Encoder

Fourpaw

Anyone have experience with the Micrologix 1200 HSC and linear encoders?

I have 2 questions...

1. I have output signals A, B, Z... coming off the sensor.

Incremental signals = 2 square-wave signals A, B and their inverted signals A-, B-
Reference signal = 1 or more square-wave pulse Z and its inverted pulse Z-

How do these apply to what the HSC needs to see and what terminals do I wire these to?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2. The encoder sensor I have is open collector so there needs to be a drop resistor to create and limit the current.

Max current needs to be 20mA so I want to calculate the resistor for about 15mA (@ 24VDC).

Is there a PLC Input internal circuit resistance I should be concerned with? What terminal connections do I terminate the resistor on?

i.e. PLC Input internal circuit resistance + external resistor needs to result in a max 20mA load at 24VDC (so target is about 15mA).

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---