S7 tcp connection port numbers

DazEddie

Sorry, showing a little lack of knowledge here and can't seem to find clarification.
I have an S7-315 plc that is to be used as a data collector that will read data from a number of S7 300/400's all connected on an ethernet network. Can the TCP connections I configure in my data collector be set with the same Port numbers or does each connection have to be different (on both the local and remote). I am asking this as the 'customer' is in control of the other networked PLC's and is transmitting data from each of the stations on the same Port number.

Oh, all connections are to be TCP connections to 'unspecified' partners

Any help/clarification on this is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Port No's

Your port No's need to match in your two partners TCPIP configs. I believe in keeping the Port No unique although i think you can actually specify the same Port No in different partners??

Maybe someone else will have a more indepth knowledge of exactly how the PLC interprets this...

S7 connections use TCP port number 102.

Normally, you are not asked for a port number when configuring an unspecified S7 connection.
Try to explain exactly what you have to achieve in terms of functionality.
And describe the exact details such as what PLC types, what CP types (if any), how many PLCs, how much data, how often etc.

edit: I see that you have asked about TCP connections, and not S7 connections.
In that case, forget what I wrote about port numbers.
Still, better describe what you have to achieve and what hardware you are talking about.

Last edited:
Ok, the low down. My PLC is an S7-315 2DP fitted with a CP-343 module. It will communicate with up to 12 customer S7 PLC's (300/400)'s which have all been configured with their own IP addresses (all on the same subnet) and all with local ports of 50000. I will need to set up a TCP connection for each of the PLC's with the respective IP addresses and remote ports (in my case) to 50000. As far as my understanding goes, the local ports I specify in my connections have to be different for each connection and that this has to be configured to match in the customer PLC's. Is my understanding correct or does anyone know anything different??

Is it possible that the customers PLC can have the remote IP address configured but the remote port left blank??