Connection Problems PV600 SLC 5/05

pallen3

Greetings,

Yesterday I attended a new customer's site to get the code from some exisiting equipment for modification. I was able to connect through Ethernet. But RSLinx could only see the PLC and not the PV.

I tried using the cable that connected the PV to the PLC to make a direct connection to my laptop using DF1 drivers. But that did not work either.

The PLC has Chan. 0 configured for 485. I'm thinking that maybe had something to do with the problem. But I'm not sure what I could change in RSLinx to allow me to see the PV.

PanelBuilder32 would attempt to upload. But would fail to recognize the device.

I was using the Ethernet Devices driver to make the connection to the PLC. Would another driver be required to see the PV connected via 485 to Chan. 0?

Thanks for you input in advance.

If this is indeed a DH485, You can use passthru from the ethernet connection, but it must be set up and the IP address of your laptop entered in the routing table of the SLC 5/05

SLC doesn't do channel-to-channel passthrough quite as smoothly as ControlLogix does. Joe is right; you have to set up Ethernet -> DH485 passthrough.

It's described pretty well in the old Knowledgebase Article ID # 17573 (TechConnect Required).

Ethernet/DH485 passthrough in the SLC-5/05 involves setting two Status bits (S:34/0 and S:34/5) both equal to zero and putting the IP address of your PC into the Passthrough Routing Table.

It's described pretty well in the old Knowledgebase Article ID # 17573 (TechConnect Required).

Thanks to everyone for their replies. And thanks very much for the link. I spent a couple of hours yesterday looking for something in the KB and never found that document. I did attempt something similar while I was there. But I didn't add my PCs IP to the driver. (never would have thought of that) In the end, it was actually a good thing that I couldn't get the PV code when I was there. Our customer wasn't sure if he had the source code for the PLC code, and my boss was adamant that he didn't even need to look for it because we didn't need it. When the customer emailed the PV code, he emailed the PLC .rss file along with it. Thanks again though, because when I go back to integrate all the changes this I'll need to know how to do this.