Rsl5000 & Opc

gizmo

Can I configure a tag in RSLogix 5000 to look at a OPC Topic or Server?

Right Now:
I've got a DDE/OPC topic configured in RSLinx looking at an OPC Server. I'm mapping alot of these items into my HMI RSView32.

I'd like to get some of these items into my RSLogix5000 and maybe write to some of these items from RSLogix5000.

Any Help?
Thanks

I'm forced to make a decision today on how we will do somethings. I really need to know if I can make a RSLogix5000 tag look at a OPC Server.

If anyone has any information or if I need to supply more description/information about my problem, please let me know.

Thanks!!!

I'm confused.

I've got a DDE/OPC topic configured in RSLinx looking at an OPC Server.

RSLinx OPC topics "look" at controllers or network devices that emulate controllers. OPC clients like RSView in turn use the OPC topics to both read and write data from controllers.

Are you using a non-RSLinx OPC Server as well ?

Follow up

Sorry Ken,
I seem to stay confused on a lot of items.
System Layout:
PLC - ControlLogix Processor
HMI - RSview32
FFLD (Foundation Fieldbus Linking Device)

Here is what I've got:
1) RSView32 with a Node config:
....Data Source = OPC Server
....Name = rs.hseoleserver.0
....Type = In-Process
I can use the OPC address browser to browse rs.hseoleserver and select the information I want.

2) In RSLinx I've got a DDE/OPC topic (name=FFLD) configured to look at AB_ETH_1 Driver ---> 1757-FFLD Foundation Fieldbus Linking Device

3) There are many parameters(within RSFieldbus) that I have access from my RSView32.

Question:
Can I create a tag in RSLogix 5K that can read/write to these parameters suchas I'm doing with RSView32?

Hopefully, this is a little better. If you need more or other info, please let me know and I'll do me best.

Thanks!!!!

OK, this is a whole new kettle of fish. I didn't know the 1757-FFLD was even a general release product, and I've never used one.

But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :D

I know that RSFieldbus software is an OPC server that has access to all the parameters in FF networked devices. Evidently you're using that function already to get FF device data into RSView.

There are two ways to get FF data into ControlLogix tags.

There are the 8-channel data exchange function blocks you can configure in RSFieldbus, which correspond to 1757-FFLD objects in the RSLogix 5000 I/O tree. Each channel gives you an analog value along with a handful of data quality, alarming, and limit information.

The method to get FF data that's not part of those data function blocks into the ControlLogix is to use MSG instructions. The 1757-FFLD emulates a Logix controller and will have tagnames that you can read with an ordinary CIP Tag Read message that is targeted toward the IP address of the 1757-FFLD.

followup

Thanks Ken,
You're right the FFLD has not been released for production.
We are beta testing the unit.

I'll have to do a little reading on the "CIP Tag Read message that is targeted toward the IP address of the 1757-FFLD" to get the step by step procedure of creating it.

Thanks Again, For you prompt help!