RS view studio

chiggins

Hi there,

I'm having trouble with a CompactLogix L23e.
When i try to set up comms to the PLC RSlinx enterprise within RSview studio does not recognise the processor, just get the yellow "?"
RSlinx Classic does recognise it,

Any thing i am doing wrong?

Many Thanks

Chris

Check your version of RSLinx. If the firmware in your comm card is "to new" your older RSLinx will not "see it" for what it is and give you a question mark.

Also check you EDS (?) files, make sure Linx has the driver for your hardware installed. I think you can check this by starting an install and it will list the EDS files it is installing. I am sure there is any easier way and maybe someone could give a little input.

thanks for you reply, my apologise for how rubbish my question was,

I had already updated the EDS file with the latest from the Rockwell site,
Is there a difference between RSlinx classic and RSlinx enterprise.
cant understand why linx classic will recognise it but not linx enterprise within RSview studio,
thanks

Last edited:
not sure if these screen prints will help, but as you can see it does not recognise the device in rsview, but does in rs linx classic

the quality of the pics is awful, sorry i a noob to all things forum

1.GIF 2.GIF

Here is what I gleaned from knowledgebase:

In order for 1769-L23E to show up in RSLinx Enterprise Communication Setup you must have:
  • FactoryTalk View Studio 5.0 installed
  • RSLinx Enterprise 5.17.00 installed. (See Answer ID 54104 - to download this version.)
  • FactoryTalk Service Platform 2.10.01 installed. (See Answer ID 54104 - to download this version.)
  • If you still can't see 1769-L23E then delete Ethernet Driver and add again.

There is a major diffrence between RSLinx Enterprise & RSLinx Classic, and I am STILL trying to get it straight even after several calls to AB on various problems with RSLinx Enterprise.

Enterprise is used by RSStudio, Bixware & ? when you do not need ODBC or if it a PanelView+ app. and some other uses (Unless AB wants more money then you need RSLinx Classic and Enterprise).

Enterprise is a completly diffrent install than Classic that is why it is working is Classic not on Enterprise.

Check you version on Enterprise. CAUTION - CAUTION you must upgrade RSStudio and Enterprise at the same time "or else" bad things happen.

Hope this post made sense.

thanks for both your replies,

why is AB kit such a nightmare?!
I do not have FactoryTalk View installed on my work laptop, and always find that if you start to upgrade software, when you come to an old panel view it goes all pear shaped,
I thinks it will be easier for me to replace the PLC with an old compact logix that RSview studio will recognise.
Thanks for your time

Chris

Have you tried using it even though it displays a question mark? It may still communicate even though it looks off.

Russell