Allen Bradley compactlogix

Peter Govers

Is it possible to communicate with RS-485 in the field using a Allen Bradley compactlogix 1769-L35E . Is there a module that we can add to the plc to setup the communication .

Is it possible to communicate with RS-485 in the field using a Allen Bradley compactlogix 1769-L35E . Is there a module that we can add to the plc to setup the communication .

because we want to build a network with RS-485 and attach 8 motors . And we want to control them with the plc .

And we currently have the devicenet adapter
but this is not the same as RS-485 ??? Or can we attach our RS-485 network on our devicenet adapter???

Last edited:
I think you want to use DeviceNet. It uses RS485, and can be used to control VFD's for example. There is a 1769-SDN DeviceNet adapter for the CompactLogix.
If the VFD's in question can use Ethernet/IP, then why not use the onboard Ethernet/IP port on the 1769-L35E ?

But you skimpy information doesnt help much.

If you read my post it answers your 485 question, if you have devicenet drives then thats different!

Perhaps if you told us the WHOLE story ?

Like what drives including options fitted and what cables you have used ? What processor and rack configuration you have etc etc