ControlLogix time since power cycle?

wevie0037@

I have a 1756-L63 system running. I would like to know if there is a way, using RSLogix 5000, to find out how long it has been running since it was last powered down? I want to know if an off shift technician cycled the power recently. Is there any information stored in the processor regarding run time or power up time?

If you type in the IP address into IE, then the Uptime is within the home page (of course your data may be different depending on the firmware revision).

I looked for a previous thread on this topic and couldn't find it, but I'm sure this was discussed before.

Here is one way that keeps track of power cycles on your ControlLogix.

In a periodic task (as often as your time needs to be updated), execute a GSV WALLCLOCKTIME to tag Time_Save.

In a power up handler routine, do the following:
Copy Time_Save to a tag Time_Stop.
Execute a GSV WALLCLOCKTIME to a tag Time_Start.

Now you know what time the PLC lost power and what time power was restored.

Each of the tags is a udt made of 7 DINTS with appropriate membernames (i.e. year, month, etc.).

If you would like to keep a log of this data, simply expand Time_Stop and Time_Start to be arrays and increment the index each time you write a new pair of values.

Hope this is helpful.

Not quite what you asked, but:

The CST time of the controller is in microseconds and starts at zero when the controller powers on without the battery installed. Once you have a battery installed, the CST runs during powerdown.

There's a Add-On Instruction in the Knowledgebase, Document #52347 (TechConnect Required), that does a "Divide By 1,000,000 " operation to convert the microseconds to seconds. That would make a usable "time since original powerup", but not a good "time since powerup".

I think a good approach would be to read and store the WallClockTime when the controller goes to RUN mode. I use the uptime counter on the 1756-ENBT for troubleshooting a lot, too.

Of course, the "uptime" of the ENBT won't tell you if the controller was pulled from the chassis and re-inserted.

The OP only wants to know how long it has been running.

I'd put a TON in the code, preset it for a minute, use a counter to count minutes (preset 60), use another counter to count hours, then another to count days, and so on, as far as you want.