Regulations in the uk for control panels

the duke

Hi
I've been asked to build a control panel for a conveyor system that consists of 6 conveyor all dol starting in sequence, will use a small IMO K series Plc and will have a IMO Estop duel channel relay. Will supply panel only as customer has own electrician to wire on site. What I want to know is regs that should be followed and does this panel need to be CE marked as I don't know the enviroment the conveyor will work in or how it is to be used who is respossible if something goes wrong with system in the future

Dont take offence, but if you dont know what regs you should build the panel to or if it needs CE marking then perhaps you shouldnt be building the panel...

Hi
I've been asked to build a control panel for a conveyor system that consists of 6 conveyor all dol starting in sequence, will use a small IMO K series Plc and will have a IMO Estop duel channel relay. Will supply panel only as customer has own electrician to wire on site. What I want to know is regs that should be followed and does this panel need to be CE marked as I don't know the enviroment the conveyor will work in or how it is to be used who is respossible if something goes wrong with system in the future

I think if you do not know the environment the conveyer is operating is is enough to stop the show right there.

I think a conveyer handling different materials would require different controls some examples
Explosives dont even know or pretend to know
Sawdust - explosion proof
Cotton (cotton dust) -- explosion proof
Conveyers outside - watertite enclosures, rain shields?
Food stuffs water, sanitary requirements and maybe explosion proof, definitely water proof (if there is such a thing).
Alkaline materials - plastic enclosures

Am not going to quote codes cause I am in USA and dont know the codes specific to your area or MORE IMPORTANT area where this is going to be installed.
Dan Bentler

Last edited:
As Silva.foxx says BSEN 60204 that standard will also reference the machinery safety standards.
You will need to know from your customer what performance level to BSEN 13849 your control system has to meet and then design the emergency stop and or interlocking to that performance level. It is not enough to just put an emergency stop relay in the circuit and hope for the best.

The customer should have carried out a risk assessment to determine the performance level, BSEN 13849-1 superceeds BSEN 954 in November so it is best to start using this standard now. Also note that the new Supply of Machinery (Safety) Regulations 2008 come into effect on 31st December 2009.

If you are just supplying a panel then it does not need CE marking to the Machinery Directive but should be supplied with a Declaration of Incorporation. However it does need CE marking to the Low Voltage Directive see BSEN 60439. As it has a PLC installed it needs to conform to the EMC Directive but does not need CE marking (generally installing the PLC in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions will meet any requirement for EMC).

The overiding regulation is the Provision and Use of Work Equipment REgulations but luckily for you it is the employer's responsibility not your's but if you breach the Supply of Machinery (Safety) Regulations you can only be fined £20,000 and be imprisoned for 6 months, unlike your customer who can face an unlimited fine and 2 years in prison. Unless of course someone dies in which case the Corporate Manslaughter Act may be applied with a maximum fine of 10% of the company's last 3 years turnover!