monitoring profibus traffic

panic mode

i'd like to take a peek at some messages on a profibus. i don't need great deal of functionality, just to confirm if frames match. in worst case i could remove all but one slave, drop speed to something comm port will handle (9600 or 19200bps), throw in 485/232 converter, and sniff with any termial but i also have CP5512 if that helps. what can you recommend?

i agree but i don't have it. did some research and found that most solutions are very pricey and usually include hardware/software combo. some only sell software but of course require some 3rd party hardware (including CD5512 for example):
http://www.t-h.de/de/trebing-himstedt/industrial-communication/produkte/profibus-scope.html

it looks very good (more than i expected) but don't know the price (they have demo version, not sure what is the limitation).

an update:

i contacted manufacturer which sent me an email about disabling all Siemens software in order to permit the installation. i did as suggested and installation went through. unfortunately the demo version doesn't do anything, it only works offline and most of the menus are disabled, i couldn't do anything with offline samples that were installed with it, but it did replace Siemens drivers for CP (grrrrrr.....).

description of the full product is interesting and i was considering to buy it (despite dongle or having to swap driver) but the price of $1725USD is too high, I am not that curious about profibus...

Hi Jasper,

Thank you for kind offer, but after working some crazy hours lately I've lost interest completely, i better spend some quality time with my son (he is still a bit shaky on a bicycle). Not sure I have anything to offer either, is there anything particular you are interested in?

Cheers...