LinkedIn

Should there be a PLCs.net group on LinkedIn?

• Sure, every opportunity to get better known should be used

Votes: 30 41.7%
  • No, I don't see the advantages

Votes: 11 15.3%
  • It doesn't matter. PLCs.net is good as it is.

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • What the hell is LinkedIn?

Votes: 21 29.2%

• Total voters

jvdcande

Dear colleagues and friends,

LinkedIn is one of the largest sites for social networking when it comes to professionals. I wonder if it would be a good idea to extend / enhance PLCs.net, which is as far as I know THE largest forum site on PLCs and SCADA in the world (I'm convinced it's the best in the world), with a group on LinkedIn. That way non-PLC professionals can easily get in touch with PLC professionals whenever they need one.

Kind regards,

Last edited:
For those who voted "What the hell is LinkedIn": better read the text, it's in there.

Kind regards,

I guess that because only 42 members have voted in the last 7 days, there isn't really a need to be on LinkedIn.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to vote.

Kind regards,

Only reviving this probably dead topic, since I sent you, (jvdcande) a response on LinkedIn, and it isn't even showing in my outbox there :0
AND, you have PMs off here :p

No PM's are showing here, nothing new is showing in LinkedIn. Don't know what might have gone wrong. You might try connecting to me again in LinkedIn, but maybe you can try a search using my full name.

Kind regards,

Only reviving this probably dead topic, since I sent you, (jvdcande) a response on LinkedIn, and it isn't even showing in my outbox there :0
AND, you have PMs off here :p
Just found out what the problem was: because of some spam PM's I had the settings set a little bit too restrictive, so your PMs didn't reach me. I have changed the settings and it should be possible for you (and others) to PM me again.

Kind regards and sorry for the troubles,

A late answer - I see no advantage in creating a LinkedIn group, the groups that are there are nowhere near as good as this forum, and if I ever see someone on LinkedIn create such a group I will point them back here.

Linkedin

It's just an ego page if I look at yours.

B1 is not a Bachelor degree. Using Bachelor and Engineer titles is illegal when you do not have that degree, check Wikipedia.

Just found out what the problem was: because of some spam PM's I had the settings set a little bit too restrictive, so your PMs didn't reach me. I have changed the settings and it should be possible for you (and others) to PM me again.

Kind regards and sorry for the troubles,

It's just an ego page if I look at yours.

B1 is not a Bachelor degree. Using Bachelor and Engineer titles is illegal when you do not have that degree, check Wikipedia.
Sorry to have offended you, I'll change it as soon as possible. I just used the term Bachelor because outside Belgium it is well known while B1 isn't. And by the way, bachelor isn't a degree, the degree is Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science and some others but always with some terms attached to the term Bachelor.

No, it isn't an ego page, this is just what I've been doing with my life. If you find it ego that I have done more than you can believe, then that says more about you than about me. LinkedIn is a social networking site where it is purpose to say what you've been doing.

By the way, with 30 years of experience in the field and teaching Bachelors and Masters (of all levels available in Belgium), I don't really care any more about titles.

Regards,

Last edited:
IMO titles are a stupid piece of paper given to people who care enough to go far enough in debt to get one. The idea behind them is good (you know, something to prove that you know a certain level of knowledge) but with the way education works in the world, they aren't especially useful any more. Too many people forget things just after learning them, or don't even bother learning them in the first place for those truly matter.

+1 for the whole, however in defence of my friends that have borrowed heavily to gain degree's that they are now not using and still not earning as much as my super trade; they do show you have proven to attest to a certain level of intelligence (or insert more appropriate word).

Then don't use them.

B1 = Mostly around 90 - 100 study points.
Bachelor = 180 study points.
Master = 240 study points.

It's illegal to use wrong titles, this is a piece of the Engineer law (Wikipedia):
In Continental Europe and Latin America and also in Turkey, the title is limited by law to people with an engineering degree, and the use of the title by others (even persons with much more work experience) is illegal.

Same law for Bachelor.

I see this all the time, many people use the title engineer on their business cards while they may not use the title. Experience has nothing to do with this.

Sorry to have offended you, I'll change it as soon as possible. I just used the term Bachelor because outside Belgium it is well known while B1 isn't. And by the way, bachelor isn't a degree, the degree is Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science and some others but always with some terms attached to the term Bachelor.

No, it isn't an ego page, this is just what I've been doing with my life. If you find it ego that I have done more than you can believe, then that says more about you than about me. LinkedIn is a social networking site where it is purpose to say what you've been doing.

By the way, with 30 years of experience in the field and teaching Bachelors and Masters (of all levels available in Belgium), I don't really care any more about titles.

Regards,

What is a title ?

I dont have a degree and appreciate some people worked hard to get theirs.

Having said that I agree it is wrong to misrepresent yourself but of course words mean diferent things in different countries..... my washing machine would be repaired by the 'service engineer' and the lifts at the local shops are maintained by the 'lift engineer' who dont have degrees (generally speaking)

I could get complete mine with 1 yr of hard study but have been working in 3 different jobs that were advertised as 'degree qualified' for over 10 years... my work experience and on the job knowledge is just as /more than important than a bit of paper.

I intend to finish mine in a few years but between working for a living and seeing my kids it is low on the priorities..

Here in the UK it has been common for people to do apprenticeships and HNC/D courses followed by years of working their way up through various career paths. In my experience degreed engineers tend to be found in the larger employers (automotive /govt /petro chem /pharma) etc

btw my job title has the word engineer in it.........

Cheers