PID Command Help....

goku-1452

I have never used the PID command before. I need to take RPMs from DC motors and keep them at a set RPM. I currently have RPM(s) that come from a encoder to a HSCE module. I am controlling augers to a material mixer. Each auger has a set rate of RPM(s). I cannot very alot or I will mess up the recipe. I am using

SLC 5/03 processor
HSCE module
Touchscreen (to select recipe(s))
1746-NO8V analog card to control DC Drive(s)

for an example:
If I have a recipe like auger 1 to run 180 RPM(s) and auger #2 to run at 1100 RPM(s). I have the analog card wired up to control the wiper input on the DC drive. How would I set a PID command to output through the analog card and keep the DC drives at these RPMs? Examples would be really helpful. thanks....

What kind of drive? Can it take encoder feedback itself?

A long time ago, I stopped trying to "Over-Control" things. A Drive should take a speed command, and run at that speed. If it cannot, it is broken.

I suggest letting the drive handle it's own speed regulation, as it should be much faster in it's loop response.

What kind of drive? Can it take encoder feedback itself?

A long time ago, I stopped trying to "Over-Control" things. A Drive should take a speed command, and run at that speed. If it cannot, it is broken.

I suggest letting the drive handle it's own speed regulation, as it should be much faster in it's loop response.

No, it is just a dc drive board mounted on a heatsink. It has the amature outputs and a potentiometer the has crimp connectors that attach it to the PC board terminals. We use them on other equipment and control them with device net but without feedback. I was given this project to update the current equipment with parts we currently have. So I already had a SLC 5/03, analog card, and HSCE cards. Like I said I have a program that is generation the right RPMs but I don't know the command PID. I think the PID command will work by what I have read about in AB's help command file but I have never used the command before. Can you help????