EZ-TEXT and/or Optimate Opinions Please

hd_coop

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi, I'm looking to buy either an EZ-420 or OP-420 from Automation Direct. I will be using it do display and reset a parts counter and for fault messages. Just looking to get some opinions on each to help me decide which to get based on ease of use, setup, life expectancy etc. Cost difference does not matter to me.

Thanks,
-Josh

Either will work fine. The EZ-Text's seemed to be the 'new' version of the Optimates. I figured they would start phasing out the Optimates, but it doesn't seem that way. I just got the "New Products" catalog yesterday, and they're still listed.

Over the years, I have had an unusual amount of button failures on the Optimates. They lose their 'click' and stay pressed. For this reason alone, I switched to the EZ-Texts when they came out. There are a few things I don't like about the EZ-Texts, but so far, at least the buttons are holding up.

I guess it has its uses, but the EZ-Text's "Local Messages" system is a waste of time. It also takes forever (IMO) to boot up, and doesn't have a way inform the PLC when it's finally 'ready'. I also don't like the futuristic 'winged' bezel, but that's just personal opinion. The software is (again, IMO) doesn't work as well as the Optimate software, though it IS 'prettier'... :rolleyes:

One nice feature of the EZ-Text units is that you can control the LED's on the keys... (y)

To put it simply... If it weren't for the button failures, I'd highly recommend using the Optimates over the EZ-Texts. Look through the A-D Forum and you can find more opinions (including mine) about the EZ-Texts and Optimates. Be sure to select "Show all topics" so you can see the older threads. Try THIS, THIS, and THIS thread for starters.

In any case, you can't beat the price!... :cool:

beerchug

-Eric

How much would I have to worry about the button failures if they only use them once or twice per day?

The failures I had weren't from overuse... Most died within the first few days of operation (which doesn't make my company look very good to the customer!). I think it's more of a quality of manufacturing issue. I'd say that out of the 30 or so that I used (before switching to the EZ-Texts), around 7 or 8 needed replacement within the first month. That's NOT a very good percentage in my opinion. The ones that 'survived' the first month are still working fine. I've got a few at one facility that have been in service for a few years of 24/7 use with no problems, and I KNOW that certain keys get pressed a few dozen times each day by the QC staff.

Others have had problems as well. HERE'S my first complaint on the A-D forum. Notice that the A-D guys (conveniently) didn't contribute to that thread... :rolleyes:

Optimation may have since resolved the button failure problem, I don't know... :confused:

beerchug

-Eric

P.S. If you go with the EZ-Texts, keep the kids away when you try to insert the keypad legend. There will be a LOT of curse words flying about. The Optimate legends are a breeze.

We've had the same problem with the button failures here at our plant also. I've even purchased the Optimates straight from the manufacture with the same result. We havn't replaced one in awhile so maybe it was a bad run of key membranes that they went thru. On the plus side for AD is that when I called them with the problem they were very fast in sending a replacement unit to swap with the defective unit.

OK I think I'm gonna take my chances on the Optimate. Since I'll probably be toyin around with it for a few weeks I'll hopefully catch a bad button if there is one and be able to get a replacement. And there's just something about the EZ-Texts which is just plain ugly.....

Having used both panels alot I prefer both in some ways. The Optimate you have more control. The EzText is pretty... but a PITA in some ways... Now I'm glad you didn't ask about PanelViews!!!!

We use Optimate Op613 (5 years, 120 units) and OP1510 (1 year, 8 units) and I also thought they would be phased out, just too lazy too change until I have to. So I haven't tried EZ-Text at all.

I don't think I've ever had a physical button failure except from "overuse", though not really abuse, just many many uses wearing the panel out due to fatigue (50 presses a day). This has happened maybe twice that I know of. Could be more out there limping along. New membranes are available, but I just swap out the whole thing, scrap the old one, it's faster and cheap enough. And I'm lazy.

I did and still do experience buttons "losing" their configuration (possibly due to external electrical noise?), where an alternating on-off button becomes a momentary contact button, maybe 7-10 times total. Also, very rarely, maybe twice, the congiguration goes totally haywire. I just swap the units via UPS, customer installs. Scrap the old one (actually they are filling up my office like Tribbles. Not really. Almost.)

Overall, I am happy with them, even though now it seems like 1 in 10 screws up somehow. I'll have to pay closer attention to this! I guess 10 to 14 units in 5 years doesn't seem so bad until you think about it! But they're cheap and easy.