Simulating PID loops

tomhelliwell

Hello there, I have to do a presentation at college to show the successful simulation of a PID loop. such as a graph.

Is it possible to simulate a PID loop without a connection to a PLC? Im using Intouch 10.0

thanks
Tom

You couldn't sim it in WW with no connection to a PLC because that's where the loop data will be. I have a VB program for simulating a PID loop if you want it.

There is no system as such this is theory. I can manually choose a setpoint/s and with the tuning parameters i have worked out, prove that the parameters are correct.

Last edited:
You should have said this is for a control theory class.

There is no system as such this is theory. I can manually choose a setpoint/s and with the tuning parameters i have worked out, prove that the parameters are correct.

Your parameters are correct for what kind of system? There are zero, one, two, three, four .. pole systems. The are non-integrating ( type 0 ) and integrating ( type 1 ) systems. When there are two or more poles it is possible to have complex pairs ( underdamped ), critically damped and over damped poles.

Each type of system has a different formula for calculating the PID gains.
Knowing what your plant is like is the first step.

I would try scilab which is free at www.scilab.org.