Are all AB Ethernet Created Equal?

bluenoser337

If I have a SLC5/05 and four MicroLogix 1100s all connected to a switch...and I want to connect a PC based HMI...will the HMI be able to send and receive information to/from the SLC and MLs using the same protocol (CIP)? Will the CPUs all be able to msg each other? Thanks!

The PLC's will definately be able to message each other using a MSG instruction. For the PC HMI you will need the AB drivers and some setup in Linx.

Probably. I like to be thorough.

The SLC-5/05 and PLC-5E originally had a proprietary Allen-Bradley Ethernet protocol called "CSPv4" that transported the Allen-Bradley "PCCC" command set.

About 10 years ago, both the SLC-5/05 and PLC-5E firmware were upgraded to use the ControlLogix transport protocol, which uses the modern CIP-based EtherNet/IP protocol to transport the same PCCC command set. They're still sending and receiving PLC and SLC type commands and messages, but they're using the ControlLogix transport.

The MicroLogix 1100 controller has used EtherNet/IP since its introduction.

So, if your SLC-5/05 is newer than about 10 years old, then it will be able to exchange messages with the MicroLogix 1100.

If you can use the "EtherNet/IP" driver in RSLinx Classic to browse the SLC-5/05, that's a sure sign it has the EtherNet/IP protocol firmware.

The question of the HMI also requires careful consideration.

The MicroLogix 1100 essentially uses the same command and instruction set as the SLC-5/05 over EtherNet/IP, but there are enough subtle differences in the IP stack the MicroLogix uses that Rockwell Automation had to introduce a new version of RSLinx Classic to support the MicroLogix 1100.

Some third-party drivers written and tested for the SLC-5/05 will not work with the MicroLogix 1100. This was an issue with Wonderware InTouch for a while.

"CIP" drivers could refer to PCCC Encapsulation on EtherNet/IP (which is what the SLC and MicroLogix 1100 use) or it could refer to CIP Tag Reads and Tag Writes, which is what ControlLogix uses.

I have seen some Siemens HMI panels, for example, that have ControlLogix tag support over CIP, but not SLC/PLC/MicroLogix support.

What is the exact make and model of your HMI ? You may need to ask them directly.

Thanks for the replies Ken!!!! This page should explain what they are offering. All I need to know for sure is that I can set up separate driver "connections" on the same ethernet port...and gather data from everybody (SLC and ML).
http://www.trihedral.com/products/drivers/

PS - Not far from the smell of pulp mills and creosote!! ;)

Last edited:
I would get a solid confirmation that they have experience supporting the MicroLogix 1100 over Ethernet before I'd have confidence in that driver matrix.

Just my conservative nature. Their mis-labeling of PCCC as "DF1" makes me a little careful.

Good day, all:

Just to be up front, I work for Trihedral.

Ken, thanks for pointing out the error in our driver matrix. It will be corrected!

As a matter of interest, I have an application running in our software (VTS) that is presently connected to a SLC, a CompactLogix, a MicroLogix 1100 and, for good measure, a Control Microsystems Scadapack 100.

So, yes, we can deal with a SLC 5/05 and 4 Micro 1100's with no problems.